Change sender info when using Automation for JIRA to send emails.

Larry Barker August 26, 2017

Hi,

I've been looking at using the Automation for JIRA plugin but have noticed that everything that gets sent out (if using to send emails) will be done as "Automation for JIRA" instead of the agent kicking off the manual trigger.

This doesn't look very clean from a customer view so would like to know if we can change it so the agent's name gets used instead.

Is this a possibility?

Thanks,

Larry

7 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2017

Hi Larry,

It depends a bit on if you are in Cloud or Server.

In Cloud we currently only allow changing the 'Reply-to' address.  There's issues with SPAM filters to make it difficult to change the from address in cloud right now (we do have an issue open right now to allow changing of the from name at least - https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-281).

e-mail-from.png

In server you can set the from name already and you can use smart-values!

So in server you can simply edit the 'From' field and use this as its value:

"{{initiator.displayName}}" <{{initiator.emailAddress}}>

'initiator' is the user that triggered the event so in your example, the agent that ran the manual trigger.

Cheers,

Andreas

Jarrod April 23, 2021

Hi @andreas 

Is there a way to change that from email? I know it's mentioned in a couple of threads, that it's not, but what if you want to forward an email from one instance to a different instance?

i.e I work in a company called Pineapples, their url is pineapples.atlassian.net

There is a separate company that does work for us, i.e Pro Peelers, and their url is: propeelers.atlassian.net.

If I use this out of the box "noreply@automationforjira.com", it would mean that Pro Peelers, would need to grant noreply@automationforjira.com access to log tickets on their instance.

This wouldn't be great, as then every instance in the world can log tickets with them, through this automation.

Unless there is a better way of handling this?

Kind regards,
Jarrod

Like # people like this
0 votes
Thays de Carvalho November 18, 2020

Fica desnecessário o automation for jira para esta configuração, pois se podemos enviar notificação para o cliente o correto seria ele responder através do email para alimentar o ticket automaticamente e assim existir interação..
Quem sabe com a saida do server, a Atlassian olha mais para o cloud.. assim esperamos todos

0 votes

The status quo is really bad for the UX. In our case, we reply basically:

thank you. Please submit more information by just replying to this message

obviously, the user think we have a bug her, as they see the "noreply".

Community: Which workarround do you use for now?

0 votes
John McKiernan
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 2, 2019

Hi guys,

apologies about the delayed response but just letting you know this issue is done now: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-281

In Cloud, you can now set 'from' name for send email action.C

Cheers,

John 

Hung Nguyen January 2, 2020

Hi John,

I'm using the latest version for Jira Automation for Cloud but am still unable to modify the "From" field for "Send Email" action. Is it not available for the current version just yet?

Like # people like this
Evgeny Lepilin March 27, 2020

Same here

Emily Fuller June 11, 2020

Same here 

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2020

Hey guys,

Sorry for my slow response here. 

You can't put an email in for Cloud, only a name unfortunately.

Thanks,
John
Emily Fuller June 16, 2020

Hi 

Please clarify how to enter this in the 'From Name' field. 

I have entered "Some user entered FROM name" <automation-noreply@codebarrel.io> with my companies email address as a replacement. I get an error 'Error sending email:Extra route-addr' 

I feel like the above is the incorrect format and i havnt understood this correctly?

Is there a way to hide the noreply@automationforjira.com by configuring the 'From field? 

Thanks

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2020

@John McKiernan since this plugin is now native to Jira, why doesn't it use the default instance email address? For example, all notification emails from our Jira instance come from "jira@oursite.atlassian.net". The fact that the automation emails use a different address result in many of them getting caught by our corporate spam filter and never being delivered. I'm working with IT, but it took several months to get this fixed with the original Jira address, so in the meantime we cannot use this automation action for anything that is important.

Like # people like this
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2020

Hey @Esther Strom ,

Thanks for your question and a good one too since we are now part of Atlassian. 

I raised it with the team and it is certainly something doable though not as straightforward as I'd hope. I have added all of the comments and needs to this ticket: 

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-709

Hopefully we can tick it off soon as I know this can be more than an annoyance. 

Cheers,

John

Like # people like this
Jovan Kovačević July 23, 2020

Hi @John McKiernan  ,

Do you have any estimate when ticket you raised could be implemented?

We have serious complaints from external vendors as these mails go to junk, or more importantly - get mixed up with mails from their other clients using Jira.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jovan

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
July 23, 2020

Hey @Jovan Kovačević ,

Unfortunately I can't give an estimate. There are quite a few priority issues being worked on at the moment and I don't want to make a promise that we can't follow through on. 

I can certainly understand the urgency and need for this. As soon as the status for that bug changes, we will update this post to let you know. 

Hope that helps, even if it isn't quite the answer you are looking for!

John

Jovan Kovačević July 24, 2020

Thanks @John McKiernan 

Naman Lamba October 6, 2020

Looking forward to see this implemented soon.. Also, if we can allow the same notification template (HTML/CSS) designed for the project is carried over to Automation emails, would be great. It would avoid creating separate HTML content in Automation notifications/emails.

Like Thays de Carvalho likes this
Tom De Blende December 22, 2020

@John McKiernan Is this somewhere on the pubic Atlassian Jira so we can vote and track?

Hannes May 3, 2021

Any update here @John McKiernan1 since one year is gone now? This is really a need, not a nice to have. It's confusing when you read in a mail it comes from "noreply.." but you CAN replay. It's really confusing. Even a workaround would be just to use mail@jiraautomation.com or so on. But "noreply" is not a neutral term. THIS is the main problem here...

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2021

Hey @Hannes ,

I can completely understand. Unfortunately I don't have any update on this yet. While you can change the 'name' the email comes from and even run the automation rule as another user, you can't yet change the default email address. I know this is frustrating but I will update as soon as it is fixed. 

Cheers,

John 

Vytautas St November 24, 2021

yeah, same frustrating finding, all emails with custom domain but automation ... 

ac December 21, 2021

Any update on this? We have been using Jira Automation for sending emails from Service Desk to customers where we need to set the ReplyTo customer email address (some customer emails are forwarded from another web application that has it's own email address - Jira Service Desk sets this as the ReplyTo address), however recently gmail spam filter is now filtering all emails from Jira automation that uses the default "no-reply@automation.atlassian.com". We have set up DMARC for our custom atlassian email address and these emails are delivered fine.

We are not able to use Jira Automation to send mail until this is resolved.

Many Thanks

Alistair

Like # people like this
Ricardo Martinez August 30, 2022

Hello

Any news about this?

Like # people like this
Chenthil Kumar S June 6, 2023

Any update on this? @John McKiernan 

Like # people like this
Ronand
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2023

Any update about this? @John McKiernan 

Ryan Pawlicki January 21, 2024

Bueller? @John McKiernan 

0 votes
Silvio Carlos Junior May 22, 2018

Hi @andreas,

First of All, Automation for JIRA Cloud is awesome!

Is there a update about this open issue: AUT-281 ?

For Jira Cloud, is it possible to set the from name at least to the header contain?

If yes, how can I do that?

Thanks, 

Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2018

@andreas, Any progress?  Working with a client on Cloud and this would be a great help.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Susan Ostreicher
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2017

Hi Andreas, 

Thanks for this information.  I clicked the link to the open issue, but it redirects me to your customer portal. Is there a way I can view the issue and start watching it?

Thanks,

Susan

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2017

Hi Susan,

It's an annoying limitation with JIRA Service Desk, where if you have a Service Desk customer account, you can't view issues in a software project (even if those issues are public).  You can view the issue when you log out.

We'll also notify this community post when we release a fix.

Cheers,

Andreas

Susan Ostreicher
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2017

Got it, thanks!

0 votes
Larry Barker August 29, 2017

Hi Andreas,

Yes, it is the cloud version.   Thanks for the reply, it makes sense about the limitation.  We'll just have to make do with it for the time being.

Cheres,

Larry

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events