Change reply address based on group

Simon Gao March 3, 2013

Hi,

We have comment security view enabled for one project. To allow creating restricted comment by email, we set up a dedicated address and a separate JEMH profile. Let's say the dedicated address is called "help-comment@example.com". The default reply (from) address for the project is "help@example.com".

Since the default email address for the project is "help@example.com", users received notification email with the default address for reply to when creating restricted comment. Is there a way to set up so that for the restricted comment notification, the reply to address is changed to "help-comment@example.com"?

Thanks,

Simon

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

You can change the project email address (JIRA Project admin > Notifications) that defaults the mailserver incoming address. You can set a per-project address, this means all traffic for the project comes from that address, may be a way to specifically manage comments.

In order for this to work, your mailserver must accept the from: address that differs from the default. For example, Gmail will rewrite provided addresses if they given, unless some vendor specific steps are taken to validate the linkage between the accounts. Your mailserver admin should be able to help more there.

Topic referred to changing by group, but the question didn't drill into the group aspect, please clarify if I missed the point!

JEMH will use the project email if provided. As yet the IssueListener notifications do not attempt to lookup the profile and try to use an provided override addresses (those present in profiles were used only for the legacy lightweight 'issue created' notifications).

Simon Gao March 4, 2013

Hi Andy,

Let me uses one exmaple. Say we have a project, helpdesk. The default from/reply to email address for project "helpdesk" is "help@example.com". One JEMH profile is created for this email address. Notification email from address is "help@example.com" (for the project)

Now I created another email address, help-comment@example.com and its corresponding JEMH profile to allow creating restricted comments via email. This all works fine.

What I want to do now is whever a restricted comment is created, the notification email should be sent out to watchers with from/reply to address as "help-comment@example.com", in stead of the default email address for the project.

Is this possible?

Simon

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

OK, good that you have mulitple outbound from: addresses working.

Sharing a project between profiles and having two different outbound addressed that are specific to those profiles has not yet been implemented.

To implement this I would use the from address override in the JEMH Profile, and use the audit history to cross match to the related Profile and the address, it should work. I've logged https://javahollic.atlassian.net/browse/JEMH-1236 for this, please watch that.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events