Change Epic status based on some or all linked issues statuses are updated to certain stage?

Sebastián Delmastro October 15, 2017

I want to change the status of an Epic when the status of one or all of its linked issues changes. The linked issues maybe on other projects and they can be tasks, incidents, bugs or sub-tasks.

The Epics I want to automate are on "Operation" project. I don't want this rule to execute on "APP" o "Web Crawling" projects.

(1) An Epic must be on "To do" that has linked issues from the same project and also from other projects, that are also on the backlog in the "To Do" status. As soon as one of his linked issues transitions from the backlog to an "in progress" state, I'd like to update the status of the Epic to "in progress" status as well.

(2) The Epic would then stay in a status of "in progress" until its last linked issue move to the state of "done", then the Epic will move into state of "done".

I have several Epics so it is ideal to automate so we never have to actually change the statuses of our Epics.

Thanks for the help.

This is my current workflow but it is not working

Captura de pantalla 2017-10-15 a la(s) 11.51.27.png

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sebastián Delmastro October 17, 2017

Thanks @[deleted] that worked great!!

Well done.

Timo Keilbach October 18, 2018

Hello,

i have a similar problem, could you please post your complte rule configuration?

Thank you!

Timo Keilbach October 19, 2018

Hi,

fixed it!

We do not use stories in our workflow...

grafik.png

Like Michael Turcato likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user October 15, 2017

Hey there Sebastian,

In Jira, Epic links aren't "normal" issue links so that's why your "linked issue match" doesn't match anything.
You'll need to use the "JQL issues" drop down and enter:

"Epic Link" = {{issue.key}}

as the "Related issues JQL", before entering the appropriate statuses. (see image below)

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark C

Project_automation_-_Your_Company_JIRA.png

NEGAR JALALIAN August 29, 2019

Hi Mike @Sebastian , I'm having exactly the same problem . but couldn't figure out the solution you proposed .should I first install a plugin ? can you please help me as well ? 

Sebastián Delmastro August 29, 2019

Hi @NEGAR JALALIAN  sure happy to help.

You should install Automation for Jira plug-in first. {from code barell}.

Then I can help you configuring an automation rule is very graphic, easy and user-no programmer-friendly.

Sebastian

Like NEGAR JALALIAN likes this
NEGAR JALALIAN October 22, 2019

@Sebastián Delmastro  I have now installed the plugin . will you please help me ?

all I need to do , I want to map status of Epic with the status of tasks and stories which are linked to the mentioned Epic .  

0 votes
Rahul Ingle May 19, 2023

Hi @[deleted] 

I want to create new automation, if Epic status done and someone link story to epic. in this case EPIC need to go In Progress status.

I have create new automation rule for the same but not achieve. sharing automation rule steps below. can you please help for this issue.

1) 

When: Issue linked

Types: All link types
2)
If:Some Linked Issue match
Types:All link types Match issuetype = Epic AND status=Done and project-Test
3)
Then:Transition the issue to In Progress
Thanks
Rahul
0 votes
Anil Kumar July 14, 2022

HI All,

my requirement is to match child issue status with "Epic status " is it possible? If Yes , Please share the rule.

My criteria is to create 

epic statuses to be updated automatically reflecting the status of its children issues, so there will be no need for manual updates of issues  that appear as cards on the boards.
Acceptance Criteria
1 When the first task is moved from (Backlog ot open ) to ( In review, in progress, test) or ( Closed with resolution Done)
 then the epic moves to inprogress
 And "EPIC status move to inprogress.

I tried my best to achieve this rule by using related issue condition and issue condition .JQL . but I am not able to success this rule.

Please help me to get it solved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events