Change Epic status based on some or all linked issues statuses are updated to certain stage?

I want to change the status of an Epic when the status of one or all of its linked issues changes. The linked issues maybe on other projects and they can be tasks, incidents, bugs or sub-tasks.

The Epics I want to automate are on "Operation" project. I don't want this rule to execute on "APP" o "Web Crawling" projects.

(1) An Epic must be on "To do" that has linked issues from the same project and also from other projects, that are also on the backlog in the "To Do" status. As soon as one of his linked issues transitions from the backlog to an "in progress" state, I'd like to update the status of the Epic to "in progress" status as well.

(2) The Epic would then stay in a status of "in progress" until its last linked issue move to the state of "done", then the Epic will move into state of "done".

I have several Epics so it is ideal to automate so we never have to actually change the statuses of our Epics.

Thanks for the help.

This is my current workflow but it is not working

Captura de pantalla 2017-10-15 a la(s) 11.51.27.png

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hey there Sebastian,

In Jira, Epic links aren't "normal" issue links so that's why your "linked issue match" doesn't match anything.
You'll need to use the "JQL issues" drop down and enter:

"Epic Link" = {{issue.key}}

as the "Related issues JQL", before entering the appropriate statuses. (see image below)

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark C

Project_automation_-_Your_Company_JIRA.png

This widget could not be displayed.

Thanks @Mark Chaimungkalanont that worked great!!

Well done.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 22, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How a Marketplace app tech team is achieving gender diversity

Hello! My name is Genevieve Blanch, and I'm the Marketing Manager at RefinedWiki, creators of apps to give teams the tools to customize Atlassian platforms. Currently, 44% of the tech team at Re...

523 views 3 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you