Cascading dropdowns using Insight in JSD

Matt Strandberg February 21, 2018

Hi,

I have three objects in insight called Service, Category and Sub-category that form a category hierarchy.  I have added each field as a custom field in JSD and they are all on a screen.  I would like for these fields to enable a cascading dropdown selection of category.

For example, user selects service 1, category only displays the categories within that service.  The user selects a category and the sub-categories only display sub-categories that are in the selected category and service.

If this is not feasible in insight, is there another way to achieve this design?

Thanks,

Matt

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2018

Hi Matt,
You can make cascading choices by using our reference custom field.
The way that they work is that the objects in them are limited by another insight custom field. In this case, Sub category could depend on Category, which can depend on the Service.

For more information on our custom fields, take a look at https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/insight-administrator-s-guide/insight-custom-fields

We are also about to release version 5.4 containing a new Insight custom field. You can read more about that in the release notes at https://documentation.riada.se/display/ICV54/Insight+5.4+Release+notes

It's available as a beta, but it's not recommended to use in production.

Best Regards
Alexander

Matt Strandberg March 2, 2018

Thank you Alexander.  This worked!

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2018

Happy to hear :)

Antoine [Klee Group] May 3, 2021

Hello Alexander,

I am reopening this topic as I want to do the exact same thing as Matt but feel like the referenced Insight field does not fill up the request.

Infact in my case, the number of layers depend on the actual category. To put it short, I have an objectType called "services" that should list all existing services (wich are the underlying objects).

Services depend on categories and clients in such a scheme:services_arborescence.png

I want to be able to select a single service within a single field (so the JSM agent would actually follow the appropriate path, select the category, then the client, then the service or another category that does not rely on a categorisation per client but let's say per sub-category). It feels like the Referenced Insight Custom Field does not allow me to do so without having to set up a lot of fields dependant on the previous step (in this case 3 fields, one insight custom field and 2 referenced).

Is there a solution to this issue using insight?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events