Can "project lead" changes be traced using JIRA auditor ?

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

Hi all,

I haven't found a way how to detect changes of project leads using this plugin.

Anyone knows if this can be done?

Please look here to see why we have this requirement

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sergey Markovich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2012

Hi Dieter,

This feasture is not implemented in JIRA Auditor yet.

We'll implement it in the next minor version. I'll update you when it is available.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2012

Good news, thanks -:-)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2012

Hmm, I can't get a normal user with admin rights to change the project lead. What version of Jira are you using, what rights do your project leads have and could you show us where they get to edit the project lead?

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

Hi Nic,

We have many project administrators within a single project and each one of them can change the project lead. On the other hand we have granted the right to delete issues only to the project lead. So each project administrator can change the lead to himself and thus get the right to delete issues. This is not traced but as you see one effectively bypasses the security scheme

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2012

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood. I think that's a design flaw in Jira. I think I've seen it raised somewhere in Atlassian's Jira, but I can't remember where.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

if you don't mind, vote on my issue . Your voice is heard at Atlassian :-)

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

i voted on that one

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

Hi Dieter...

i don't get behind the request completely...

We have noticed that any project administrator is able to change the project lead. This is a security problem in our opinion since the permission scheme grants special rights (e.g. Delete issue) only to the project admin.

what i got is..that any user who is in the "administrator" role in a project is able to change project lead from any other project?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

oh i see....

looks like you ask for the possibilty to allow project-lead changes to a selected group of users only...

afaik this is not possible with permission schemes...

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

I have updated the JRA issue to make clear that a project administrator can change the lead of *his* project only.

Knowing that it's not possible i have created this issue. But as long Atlassian hasn't fixed that i am looking for a possibillity to trace it using the JIRA Audit plugin.

Of course it could hack something on my own but this would make my JIRA installation even more unmaintainable as it already is ;-)

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

to trace changes on this you could enable sql loging. all sql relevant stuff will be posted in atlassian-jira-sql.log

changes to project lead will look like

2012-12-20 14:19:24,296 ajp-bio-8009-exec-20 cfaysal 859x7090x1 10g48yp /secure/project/EditProjectLeadAndDefaultAssignee.jspa 7ms "UPDATE project SET pname='TEST', URL='null', LEAD='tester', DESCRIPTION='', ASSIGNEETYPE='2' WHERE ID='11701'"

where cfaysal is me who was logged in and setting Lead of a project called "Test" to username "Tester"

i understand this is not the most comfortable way to do it....but at least you can grab the information you were askin for

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

i am looking for a possibillity to trace it using the JIRA Audit plugin.

did you asked the vendor if it is possible to track this action too?

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

i asked the vendor to post an answer here.

I appreciate your suggestion to turn on SQL logging but our environment is likely to dynamic so the log files will roll over quickly. Let's see what Atlassian and the vendor of the plugin tells me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events