Can issues be splitted?

tomasz_zylka June 18, 2013

Hi,

I have planned two tasks with duration of 5 days, each. I will be doing both of them more or less simultaneously.

Gantt plugin auto-scheduled them to start TASK1 on Monday and finish on Friday of 1st week, and to start TASK2 on Monday and finish on Friday of 2nd week. That's the plan, but...

I will log work (8h) of TASK1 on Monday (1st week) and TASK2 (8h) on Tuesday (still 1st week).

Therefore, I would love (... and therefore buy the plugin:-) ) if end date of TASK1 would be re-scheduled to Monday (2nd week), instead of Friday (1st week). Also, moving (backwards) start date of TASK2 to Tuesday (1st week), but leaving the end date unchanged (Friday, 2nd week), would be perfect.

Instead, TASK2 still starts on Monday 2nd week.

Can I change this default behaviour or this plugin does not support Logging Work and splitted tasks?

Best regards,

Tomek

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
tomasz_zylka July 3, 2013

That's a pity. In my situation it is impossible to use sub-tasks. Also, I cannot imagine why 'work logging' does not change start/end dates of issues that are not connected with each other.

Warnings are not enough, i.e. warnings are annoying ;) Auto-scheduling could fix simple problems.

Thanks Frank, but I'll have to look for another plugin or stay with MS Project.

Regards

Tomek

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2013

You can use e.g. sub-tasks and combine both using a start-start dependency to run both in parallel having different end dates. Splitted tasks like in MS-Project are not supported as this does not fit into JIRA's native concept.

Work logging does explicitly not change the planned end date as there are multiple other possibilities to act as project manager like creation of sub-tasks and assign them to different team members, work longer on a day or during weekends etc. Very often, it is not possible/acceptable to just shift the planned end date as this is fix due to other circumstances. Therefore, my Gantt-Chart helps to indicate such situations as early as possible (warnings etc.), but a human has to act.

Regards,
Frank

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events