Can Zephyr tests be created as a sub task of a story in jira

Archana Balasanjeevi October 8, 2013

I found that zephyr test can be linked to a story, but I need to create a test task in jira and then a zephyr test and then link it . Instead if directly jira allows me to create a zephyr test task as a sub task in a story . it will reduce the effort . Please let me know whether this requirement is available or not?

33 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

Hi Archana,

Currently Zephyr for JIRA does not support creating subtasks. The bug will have to be manually converted to a subtask.

We have added this ability to our feature request list and I will add your endorsement. What the feature request list means is that our product team will review this list and decide what features to add in future releases.

Kind Regards,

Emily

J October 10, 2013

We have run into the same challenge and did the same as Archana's team to resolve it. It would be nice to see the Zephyr test directly linked to our stories (without having to create an extra issue and link them together), so we can see when all of the sub-tasks/tests associated with a story are done. That way, it's much easier to make a story as complete.

Please add my endorsement to this request, as well!

Eric Holmen January 8, 2014

Emily could you please add my endorsement here as well, this would be a huge benefit to our workflow.

adrian_bukowski April 10, 2014

We also use Zephyr and such missing functionality is big gap. I'm waiting for possibility of adding tests as sub-tasks to story

darcfinn August 10, 2014

Please also add me to the endorsements!

Do you have a public link to this feature request?

This is understood as KEY FUNCTIONALITY for us, as we are totally restructuring our JIRA instance. We want the ability to standardize a set of sub-tasks under a story, and having the Zephyr test as part of these is not only nice, it's the RIGHT WAY to have a natural flow and prevent silly duplicates!

Like Mridula Wittke likes this
Deleted user September 7, 2014

Please add me to the endorsements. It's a must have!

User1234 November 11, 2014

Please add my endorsement for this as well. This would be a huge benefit for our workflow

Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG November 30, 2014

Hi Emily, Do you have any news on this? Meaning is this planned for a future release or is this feature even on your backog? Is there a feature request that we can officailly vote on ? KR Johannes

Navjit Singh Brar January 19, 2016

Repeat of question from @Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG above - @Emily Schneider - was this entertained and implemented - and - as such is available now?

David_Schokker April 3, 2016

Any progress on this? I want to recommend this software to stakeholders but not having a test event as a subtask of a story is a killer.

Melanie of Ottawa June 2, 2016

Endorsing as well. We are presently gradually moving to using Zephyr, and would love to include Test sub-task, or Sub-Test, to existing JIRA issue/task/story instead of linking. 

Patrick Tsang November 22, 2016

Please add this as priority!

We really need this as a feature.

nickwang124 December 8, 2016

Also Endorsing, but it seems Zephyr has stopped responding... Will the feature ever be added?

Elsa Chang January 27, 2017

It will be super helpful to have that feature!

Stephanie Oubre March 3, 2017

We're getting started with Zephyr, and this also seems like the obvious way to integrate tests into our workflow. Our team would also like to see this feature.

Ray Christian March 26, 2019

We also would like to have this subtask feature to be available soon. But it looks like they haven't accomplished this request since 2013.

Casey Cantwell October 8, 2020

We also want to be able to add tests as sub tasks to stories.... 

6 votes
Jasper Knops June 17, 2016

A better solution would be to make it possible to create new issue types with the same functionality as the existing issue type "Test". This would mean you can add testing steps, perform executions and add to cycles,...

This way you could also create a new sub-task issue type with the full zephyr power.

Rajesh Basava April 13, 2017

We are stuck with an issue after including the Zephyr Add-on to JIRA cloud.

JIRA does not have the issue type TEST, so when zephyr is added, it is not letting me create Test as it cannot find Issue type TEST.

Any solution for this

3 votes
Daniel Kovacic April 4, 2017

This question has been open for nearly 4 years. Whilst the initial responce was hopeful, the time lag in any update does not give me confidence that this feature (or more to the point, removal of restriction) is forthcoming, or that there is any intention to implement and role out this feature. Please, eihter infiorm your customers of your roadmap for this, or just simply state that you have no intention on delivering this. You are impeeding my workflow enough without having to go chase responces to this question. Creating tests as sub-tassks just to have to convert them back to tests is a pain in the back side! All I want is to have my relevant tests shown within the story they belong to! 

Mridula Wittke June 10, 2020

I agree, I need the same feature, but i see no response from the Jira/Zeyphr team

3 votes
Frankwin Hooglander March 30, 2016

Please add this a.s.a.p.

2 votes
User1234 October 29, 2014

@Emily Schneider,

Do you know if this feature has been reviewed? This is would reduce a lot of work load. Would be nice if this is released in near future.

Thank you!

1 vote
Jorge Grajales April 17, 2019

Actually, I'm evaluating Zephyr among other test management tools. This feature was one of the main topics to validate our candidates, but I don't know what to think about this 5 year discussion not going anywhere.

Deyanira Davila May 6, 2019

Agree!

1 vote
Igor Kosoy April 10, 2019

Wow, 5 years later and it's still wasn't resolved.... This is important functionality request. I can't believe it after all these years it wasn't resolved.

1 vote
Hitesh.Jamb@apa.com.au August 19, 2018

I have a similar situation now. We are currently evaluating Zephyr JIRA plugin for use in our projects. 

Please update on a tentative time when this would be available.

Appreciate an early response.

Hitesh.Jamb@apa.com.au September 12, 2018

HI JIRA-Zephyr Team, I see this ticket tagged for almost 5 years now. Do you have an update on this?

1 vote
Geoff Sproat December 22, 2015

Agreed that this is critical functionality. It really makes the whole integration way more cumbersome than it needs to be. Testing of a user story is inherently a subtask of the Story, not some separate but related task. The user story isn't done if it's not tested. 

1 vote
Trevor Gettelman December 3, 2015

This would allow us to keep Zephyr.  Please add my endorsement.

1 vote
Christopher Penkin June 17, 2015

Since we are a year down the road, does anyone know if this is now possible?

Vinícius de Oliveira Henriques June 14, 2018

2018 and still nothing

Fraser Colmer [Zephyr]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 15, 2018

Vinicius,

Thanks for leaving your comment on the Atlassian portal, but please see our link below to have direct correspondence with Team Zephyr's support staff. They will be able to answer any technical questions you may have. 

https://support.getzephyr.com/hc/en-us (submit a ticket)

Thank you,

Team Zephyr

Deleted user July 4, 2019

2019 :)

0 votes
Carlos Enrique Ortiz October 12, 2020

+1

0 votes
lisa.coombes October 1, 2020

I find it awful that this issue has not been addressed after so many years.  It would be useful to know whether this will ever be implemented or is even being considered.  As a new user of Zephyr for Jira, if we cannot get this to work we could well switch to a different tool that can before too much time is invested and wasted.  I see that it has also been added to the Zephyr Jira for Cloud ideas board:  https://z4j-cloud.ideas.aha.io/ideas/Z4J-I-65

0 votes
Geeta July 21, 2020

Has there been any update in this features after so many years ?

0 votes
Deyanira Davila May 6, 2019

Hi,

I´m creating a Test issue type, then I'm creating a customized Test- sub task in order to tell which stories belongs to that Test.

It is like an opposite link.

Untitled.png

0 votes
Steve Macleod August 5, 2018

Any update on this feature?

0 votes
Jay Goettelmann July 23, 2018

Not hopeful that one more voice will push this over the top after 4 years, but ... adding Zephyr tests as Subtasks of a User Story would be very useful.  Other tools that are agile-focused from the ground up like VersionOne make this very easy.  Would love to see this implemented.

0 votes
Arun Ravindran June 16, 2017

Hi All

We have implemented a feature recently in Zephyr for Jira server 3.5 where in you can create a test issue type from any other issue page of Jira

Creating a new test issue from another issue type:

Kindly the above heading in the link below with the screenshot of how to do it

https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ZFJ0300/Create+Tests

Let us know if you have further queries about above mentioned

Thanks

Zephyr Support

Simon Taylor July 12, 2017

Thanks for this update, it's useful,  but it doesn't really  resolve the original issue, of creating sub tasks of test.

Can this be looked in to for future releases?

Mustafa Slatewalla November 29, 2017

This can be of great help if the Zephyr Test can be a subtask of a story

Deleted user January 10, 2018

This is beyond frustrating.  I'm dealing with clients who like myself fail to see why after this many years you still can't add a zephyr test as a sub-task.  The lack of response is what I find most unacceptable.  Can someone from Zephyr and or Atlassian just let us know if this is going to be addressed or not.  I have to lead my clients to a decision about what tool to go with and in the absence of an answer cannot in good faith tell them to move forward with tools that slow down their productivity - the very thing using Agile and Agile tools is supposed to address.  If I hear nothing I will be moving on to look at other tools.

Like Mridula Wittke likes this
Stephanie Oubre January 10, 2018

We ended up going with Practitest. It integrates with Jira tickets and has worked pretty well for us so far.

Deleted user January 10, 2018

Thanks I'll give that a look.

Davi Silva June 5, 2018

Thanks for this update, it's useful,  but it doesn't really  resolve the original issue, of creating sub tasks of test.

0 votes
Dean Wiloson March 7, 2017

Hey,

has there been any update on this feature?

Thanks,

DW

0 votes
Armen Sanasarian December 21, 2016

Endorsing this as a way to remove overhead that provides no value.

0 votes
Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2015

Hello @Robin Bleeker, @Adda Birnir,

Our Product Management team has been made aware of this feature request. They will review the same for consideration. We appreciate your valuable feedback in making Zephyr for JIRA better.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at our support portal for any additional information.

Regards,

Zephyr Support

0 votes
SkillcrushD December 16, 2015

Any update on this? My team is evaluating the trial version but not being able to add a test as a sub-task is a deal breaker for us. I'd love to find out if any progress has been made here or if it's in the works?

0 votes
Jill Watts December 4, 2015

In true Agile Methodology, initial or unit base QA should be built into the scrum, and therefore the real need to have the test as a sub task.

0 votes
Robin Bleeker November 30, 2015

Hi, any news on this?

can youi please add my endorsement for this feature too ?

Regards Robin

0 votes
Jill Watts May 12, 2015

Absolutely agree, when development breaks a story down into subtasks with QA as one, you should be able to make that task a Zephyr task so you can rollup the QA effort to its originating story. Now we must clone the originating task and make it a Zephyr task, which is not convenient or efficient. Thanks, Jill

0 votes
Michael Stallfus January 9, 2015

I am currently testing an evaluation of Zephyr for a very large enterprise. My goal is to move from HP ALM Jira integration to a fully JIRA process. We currently have our stories structured with 7 base subtask (very similar to Arshad Mehmood mentions below). Two of them are Create tests and Execute tests. My hope was we could put Zephyr sub tasks in our process directly without redesigning the process. This is not the case it seems. I am curious why creating zephyr tests would NOT be able to be subtasks to a story? To me testing is ALWAYS a subtask to the overall story process - we NEVER have testing at the story level. This makes our incorporation of Zephyr a non starter. I am not going to change our process flow to accommodate a tool - I already have that with HP.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events