Can I use a newly created issue in smart-value completions in Automation for JIRA?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2016

I'm creating a new issue using the "Create issue" action in Automation for JIRA and would like to use the new issue key in a SLACK notification. Is this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2016

The "Create Issue" action adds a new object to the inputs for subsequent actions, so it's possible to access this using smart-values.

The new issue with all its field is available via the {{createdIssue}} smart value.  If you are creating multiple issues, then there's also an {{createdIssues}} array that you can iterate over (createdIssue will simply be the first one).

So for example here's what your Slack notification body would look like:

New issue created with key {{createdIssue.key}}. Here's a link: <https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/{{createdIssue.key}}|{{createdIssue.key}}>

See our full list of components to see which ones support smart-values and in what fields.

Mark Girona March 12, 2019

This comment helped bring my hours of research to an end. Huge thank you!

Like Mark Hostetler likes this
Irina Degtyareva April 15, 2020

Please advise how to select the last one from multiple issues, then there's also an {{createdIssues}} array 

Irina Degtyareva April 15, 2020

something like {{lastcreatedIssue}}

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events