Can I restrict access to the Project report?

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2013

I do not want my users to see other people's logged time / worklogs. Therefore I would like to restrict access to the project report.

I found no permission setting that would allow me to do that. I found a module to disable the dropdown in the Tempo JIRA topnav bar, but all reports are still available from the timesheet view.

6 answers

0 votes
Sverrir Tynes [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Hi Fabian

Please read the documentation page for the Project Role as mentioned earlier herehttps://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO/Project+Role+to+View+Other+Users

and see the two two screenshots after this text

Screenshot: The Project Timesheet with the default option No Role Set as view by Team Members (Paul Bergen)

/Sverrir

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

Not very intuitive and also I could not find it when I crawled thorugh your documentation.

Whereas it seems to answer the question, there is a major problem it:

According to German law, only the direct supervisor is allowed to access this information (because he has to) but nobody else.

Following your suggestion, I can see two scenarios:

1. I assign the role “Administrator” to "Project role to view worklogs of other users"
  2. I assign a new role without any users to "Project role to view worklogs of other users"

Either way, there is a big problem with it, because Greenhopper requires every SCRUM master to have the “Administer Projects” permission for all projects his team is working on. This means for the two scenarios:

1. A huge amount of users (approx. 30) will have the rights to access other peoples worklogs
  2. Nobody will have the rights to access other peoples worklogs. However, since the approx. 30 people have the “Administer Projects” permission, they can assign users and groups to roles for their projects. This means they can just add themselves to the empty role and gain access to other people’s worklogs.

This is a big concern to us, because it means that we cannot use Tempo in our company because it does not meet the legal requirements in Germany.

We need to have the ability to enable the group of people who can access other people’s worklogs on a global administration level and not on a project administrator level or we need to be able to completely disable the project report.

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

Fabian,

The correct way would be to create a new role (Time Tracking Admin) and only give the direct administrator this role. But like you said, if you have 30 people with project admin permission, then they can add themselves to this role. So we need to look at why you need all these users to have project admin permission. The requirement from GreenHopper that Scrum masters need project admin perission is the problem here. It would be much better if GH would allow you to also specify a "Scrum Master" project role.

Given this information, I don't see how Tempo could achive this problem with GreenHopper. Project Roles is the best configuration option to contol this kind of permissions and in my opinion, requiring every Scrum Master to be project admin on all projects is the source of the problem. This behaviour in GreenHopper breaks any plugin that uses project roles for permission handling because you said, the project admin can simply give himself the permission he wants.

It is a big concern to us as well that GreenHopper can't operate without opening up permissions configurations as you described. There is already an issue for this in the GreenHopper project, GHS-4701. Lets continue this discussion there.

Thanks for pointing this out,

Viðar

0 votes
Sverrir Tynes [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Hi Fabian

I guess there is some misunderstanding here. Only team leaders can view other users worklogs in Tempo project report. Team members can view own worklogs in project reports and the total sum of other users logged work in the project timesheet. The above is the default behavior in Tempo.

There is also an option to restrict the view for team members by selecting a project role as documented on this page

https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO/Project+Role+to+View+Other+Users

If the above does n answer your question can you attach a screeshot of your problem here or in a private support issue in our support channel.

https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/JTS/Getting+Help+and+Support

Sverrir Tynes
Tempo support

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Our users cannot access other users' timesheet but they have access to this project report:

0 votes
Sverrir Tynes [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Hi Fabian

All users who are in team leader role in Tempo will see worklogs of all users in the team member roles given that they have browse permission for the project in JIRA.

https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO/Manage+Teams

Please verify your team configurations

Sverrir Tynes
Tempo support

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Nobody has the team leader role, yet everybody can see the timesheet's project report that clearly shows other peoples logged hours + worklogs.

0 votes
Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

Hi Fabian,

You can specify a project role that can view others worklogs. See the documentation for details.

Cheers,
Viðar

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

I did configure it so nobody can see other peoples worklogs. However, the project report still shows other peoples logged work :(

Our managers are complaining that this is a privacy issue.

I was not able to resolve this using the permissions neither by disabling modules.

Please help!

0 votes
Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

public boolean showReport()

{

return // Add condition who i.e. Project Role , Group, User can view report.

//eg.return (ctx.getUser() != null) && (ComponentAccessor.getCrowdService().isUserMemberOfGroup(ctx.getUser().getName(), "jira-administrators"));

}

Karel Broer October 19, 2015

Hi Onkar, where do I need to define this?

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2013

Hey there, Fabian.

I would recommend you to contact the plugin vendor directly so that you can have your questions answered quicker. Review the following information:

1. Name: TM Software for Tempo (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/is.origo.jira.tempo-plugin)
  2. Address: Borgartun 37, Reykjavik 105, Iceland
  3. Email: support@tempoplugin.com
  4. Phone: +354 545 3000
  5. Homepage: http://www.tempoplugin.com/</li<>>

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Danial

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

Can Atlassian please consider stopping answering Tempo specific questions with a generic answer? The users come to this site from Atlassian Marketplace and are encouraged to ask questions about the plugin. We are happy to answer such questions on this site.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2013

Hey there, Viðar.

Noted. Will keep the questions open so that you are able to answer them here. Pardon me for the inconvenience. :)

Warm regards,

Danial

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events