Can I create a linked issue in a Software project when a ServiceDesk issue is created with a specific request type?

Richard Kerkhoven March 2, 2017

3 answers

0 votes

That's what I did with placing this question in addon-com.codebarrel.addons.automation! smile

J. de Haan April 13, 2017

Links still don't appear in original and cloned issue. So cloning works but links don't, help!

Untitled.png

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2017

Hi Patrick,

this is certainly something you should be able to do with Automation for JIRA. Here's an example rule defined in my demo service desk project to get you started:

Project automation - Code Barrel JIRA 2017-03-03 11-17-20.png

Lets go through this:

• The rule is triggered whenever an issue (or request) is created in the servicedesk project
  • Next we check it's of a certain request type using a JQL condition. "IT Help" in this example
  • Next we create a new issue in the related "DEMO" software project
  • Finally we link the two issues with the "Link issues" action and the createdIssue.key smart-value to reference the issue we just created.

You could also link the issues directly from the create issue action, however that requires that the 'Link issues' field is added to the service desk create issue screen, which may not be desirable (your customers would see it too).

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
  Andreas

Hello Andreas, that is not exactly what I meant but I have this now and it works(!), I was aiming on "Customer Request Type":

2017-03-03 09_35_51-Project automation - Nedasco JIRA.png

One thing I notice, I doesn't have the 'Link issues' action in my instance. How is that possible?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2017

Hi Patrick,

If you're in server please ensure you upgrade to the latest version of Automation for JIRA. We only released easy linking a couple of days ago.

However 'Clone issue' doesn't support all the simple fields yet.  For this action you'll have to continue to use the 'Advanced' section.  Or, you could insert a 'Link issue' action after the clone issue action and use the smart-value {{createdIssue.key}} in the link issue field in that action.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
  Andreas 

Richard Kerkhoven March 6, 2017

Hello Andreas, I'm on the latest version of Automation for JIRA. Still don't see the 'Link issue' action.

Patrick

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2017

Hi Patrick,

So just to confirm you're saying this doesn't show up for you:

Project automation - Code Barrel JIRA 2017-03-07 19-01-31.png

It should definitely be there, if you're on the latest version. Can you confirm which version shows up in 'Global administration' > 'Manage add-ons' > 'Automation for JIRA' ?

Cheers,

Andreas

Richard Kerkhoven March 6, 2017

Hello @Andreas Knecht, I see that I was on version 1.3.8. Just noticed that there is 1.3.9 and upgraded it. Now I can see the 'Link issue' action! smile

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2017

Ok great to hear!  Yeah it was only added very recently!

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2017

Hard to answer but with JIRA Automation for server this should not be an issue with some scripting. But I guessing your on cloud. I've not used the plugin your referencing but try reaching out to their support.

Good luck!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events