Can I comment on a linked issue when an issue is resolved with Automation for JIRA?

Andreas Knecht Community Champion Nov 30, 2016

I'd like to comment on a linked issue, when a linked issue is resolved. Is this possible with Automation for JIRA?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Andreas Knecht Community Champion Nov 30, 2016

Yes this is possible with a rule like this:

comment-on-linked-issue-on-resolve.png

Lets take a look at this in detail:

• This rule is triggered whenever an issue is transitioned
  • Next we use a compare condition with a smart-value to check if the status changed:

{{#changelog.status}}{{toString}}{{/changelog.status}}
  • Next we check that the issue is now resolved using the JQL "statusCategory = Done" with the JQL condition.
  • Then we branch off using the 'Related issues' action to iterate over the linked issues
    • On this branch we can then use more conditions to filter the linked issues (in this example I use a JQL condition to look for linked issues of "type = Task"
    • And finally we can add a comment to those linked issues using the 'Add comment action'. We can even reference the original issue using the {{triggerIssue}} smart-value

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

The 7 hacks of highly successful automation

...there's anything I've learnt from working, it's that people are lazy! No offense to anyone reading this, but it's true and we can all admit it. The easier you make something for someone, the more...

294 views 0 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you