Can Automation be used to automatically populate the Component field from the Epic Link?

When creating a new Task in JIRA, I choose the Epic Link to associate the new task with it's parent epic. I would like the Component/s field on the new task to automatically populate with the Epic's Component/s field.

Can Automation be used to automatically populate the Component/s field from the Epic Link? If so, how can this be accomplished?

Does the component field change in real-time in the browser (client side)? or only after submitting the issue with the create button (server side)?

1 answer

0 votes
Andreas Knecht Community Champion May 23, 2017

Hi Craig,

Yes this should be fairly simple to setup. Here's an example rule:

copy-components-epic.png

Here's how this works:

• When an issue is created
  • We check that this issue is in fact a 'Task' and that it is linked to an Epic with the JQL condition
  • Next we edit this issue using the 'Edit issue' action. Add the components field and simply select 'Copy from epic' in the dropdown

This will happen immediately *after* the task is created (server side).  JIRA doesn't provide any APIs to pre-populate the components field in the create issue dialog client-side.

Cheers,
  Andreas

Hi  @Andreas Knecht

Can we do the same When an issue is edited and now got an epic link (was blank at the creation)?

I didn't found how to do it with this plugin.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 31, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: Zephyr

Hello Atlassian Community! Each month, we run a series of Spotlights to highlight Marketplace vendors and apps that our team thinks this Community would find valuable. In last month's Spotlig...

344 views 0 1
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you