Can Automation be used to automatically populate the Component field from the Epic Link?

Craig Robertson May 23, 2017

When creating a new Task in JIRA, I choose the Epic Link to associate the new task with it's parent epic. I would like the Component/s field on the new task to automatically populate with the Epic's Component/s field.

Can Automation be used to automatically populate the Component/s field from the Epic Link? If so, how can this be accomplished?

Does the component field change in real-time in the browser (client side)? or only after submitting the issue with the create button (server side)?

1 answer

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2017

Hi Craig,

Yes this should be fairly simple to setup. Here's an example rule:

copy-components-epic.png

Here's how this works:

• When an issue is created
  • We check that this issue is in fact a 'Task' and that it is linked to an Epic with the JQL condition
  • Next we edit this issue using the 'Edit issue' action. Add the components field and simply select 'Copy from epic' in the dropdown

This will happen immediately *after* the task is created (server side).  JIRA doesn't provide any APIs to pre-populate the components field in the create issue dialog client-side.

Cheers,
  Andreas

Shlomi Perets June 14, 2018

Hi  @andreas

Can we do the same When an issue is edited and now got an epic link (was blank at the creation)?

I didn't found how to do it with this plugin.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events