Bulk Clone Pro: How to clone entire Epic (with Issues and their Sub-Tasks)?

Hi - I'm evaluating Bulk Clone Professional, and need to clone our "template" Epic.  This Epic contains a handful of Tasks ("Issues in Epic").  Each of these Tasks in the Epic have a bunch of Sub-Tasks.  How do I clone this entire structure? When I clone this "template" Epic using Bulk Clone Professional, I only specify this single Epic as needing to be cloned, because I want to end up with a cloned Epic that contains the same (cloned) Tasks as the source Epic contains, and have each of these (cloned) Tasks point to (cloned) Sub-Tasks.

So in the pic attached, the 5 "Issues in Epic" would also be cloned, and listed in the cloned Epic's "Issues in Epic" section.  Also, I need each of the Sub-Tasks (of each Task) to also be cloned.  So a full Epic clone.

Thanks!

epic2clone2.jpg

1 answer

1 accepted

Ok, I figured it out.  Instead of assuming that just cloning the "top level" Epic, I need to use JQL (project = MIG and "Epic Link" = MIG-84 or issuekey  = MIG-84)  - where MIG-84 is the Epic - and clone the Epic and all of the "Issues in Epic" together.  Very cool plug-in.  

Where do you place the JQL?  The Backlog area is the only place you can multi-select (I think) and if I do a JQL search, I am taken to a Search results page where I cannot multi-select.

Hi Kristina - this is Fred, posting by mistake from my manager's account (oops ;_0 )  ... so I go to my project, and click on "view all issues and filters" in the upper right.  Make sure the "Advanced" link is clicked, and create a filter that selects the epic you want to clone - along with all of the tasks in that epic.  So for me, it's:

project = MIG AND "Epic Link" = MIG-84 OR issuekey = MIG-84 ORDER BY issuetype ASC, issuekey ASC

Then I save that filter.  When you're ready to clone that epic (with its tasks and task sub-tasks), run that filter (by going to your project, clicking on "view all issues and filters", and clicking on the filter you just saved).  

You'll now see the epics and tasks in that epic.  You won't see sub-tasks but they're cloned automatically with each task.  Now just follow the add-on instructions (go to tools -> bulk tools, change all X issues, and in bulk operations select all of them, click next, then select the add-on "clone issues", and you're off and running).

Logged in as myself (Fred) now - let me know if you have any other questions on this!

I was able to create JQL and see the list I wanted.  I don't see tools > bulk tools etc.  I'm trying to follow http://www.lbconsultinggroup.org/bulkclone-professional-documentation/ which recommends going to Backlog...I don't want that.

Couldn't see how to save the filter except to save it to a local file.

When you build up the filter (using either 'basic' or 'advanced'), there is a "Save As" button that you can click to save that filter.

We chose Bulk Clone Pro because we could clone Epics and their hierarchies across many different JIRA Projects.

Thanks for all of your help.  Our needs were simpler; may need this in the future though...

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Calling all developers––You're invited to Atlas Camp 2018

Atlas Camp   is our developer event which will take place in Barcelona, Spain  from the 6th -7th of   September . This is a great opportunity to meet other developers and get n...

77 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you