BigPicture Roadmap Questions

Hello!

We are currently evaluating gantt plugins for JIRA and BigPicture is one of the best we've seen so far. We have a couple questions regarding the development roadmap for the tool itself:

• While being able to tell if a particular resource is overbooked is great and very intuitive in BigPicture, we run into trouble as teams get larger: Manually updating team member allocation becomes very time-consuming at scale. Do you have any plans to implement Microsoft Project-style resource leveling? That is, as a project manager I would like BigPicture to automatically adjust resource allocation based on resource type, capacity, task type, duration, and predecessor/successor relationships so that I don't have to update the schedule manually.
  • We noticed that resource type / role definition sits behind the admin function wall and applies to all BigPicture programs within a given JIRA instance. This is fine for small instances, but becomes difficult to manage at scale. As a project manager, I would like to define teams, roles, and work schedule at the program or even team level so that...
    • ...I can flexibly define constraints that fit my team / project.
    • ...I don't need admin rights on the JIRA instance to make changes.
Any insight as to where you guys are headed next would be great.

1 answer

First, MSP-like leveling will be introduced, it's already in our backlog: https://softwareplant.com/jira/browse/GANTT-255

As for the permissions issue, while adding new types of Roles is indeed in the global administration, to add Teams and assign existing Roles to resources you should not need JIRA admin rights. Admin of the Program itself (not all, just this particular one) in our plugin's permissions should suffice.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 11, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

You + one app + a desert island...

Hi all! My name is Miles and I work on the Marketplace team. We’re looking for better ways to recommend and suggest apps that are truly crowd favorites, so of course we wanted to poll the Community. ...

2,506 views 5 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you