BigPicture Gantt chart time doesn't reflect task duration estimate

Blair Chisholm January 11, 2019

I am trying to get Big Picture to generate a Gantt chart that reflects the time estimates put in for each task. I have the links and sub-tasks importing correctly, but all sub-tasks show as one day in length. I have tried everything I can think of for the start and end date fields under task configuration. How can I synchronize time estimates with the Gantt chart without editing them all manually?

2 answers

2 votes
Tomek-SoftwarePlant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2019

Hi, 

Have you tried to map Start date (by Jira) to task's start date and Original estimate to task's end date? This should work.

Original estimate can be used to calculate the duration of your tasks or, can be independent of the duration so, the choice is yours. Nevertheless, we think TimeTracking fields should be used for indicating effort only.

PS. With the above mapping End date won't get calculated automatically. 

Best,
Tomek

Blair Chisholm January 13, 2019

Thank you for the reply. I do have end date set to original estimate. I have start date set to start date (customfield_10015). The settings page says there isn't a start date field built into Jira. With this setup, start date and end date are both getting calculated automatically, but always as one day even if the original estimate is more. Is there a different start date field I should be using?

Tomek-SoftwarePlant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2019

@Blair Chisholm, something's wrong with your settings then. Let us check this. Please, create a support ticket via our Portal

Am I right saying that you are a Jira Cloud user? 

Look forward to seeing your ticket.

Best,
Tomek

Blair Chisholm January 14, 2019

Yes, I am on cloud. I will create a ticket when your website is back up.

Blair Chisholm January 14, 2019

After playing around with it some more, I think I found the problem. It works if I set task duration in days, but not in hours. Does BigPicture have any way to support task time estimates that are less than one day? I am trying to total up the time for small sub-tasks.

Like Paul Bastowski likes this
Tomek-SoftwarePlant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2019

Hi,

That's the case. The minimum length of a task for the Gantt's timeline is one day and this, unfortunately, cannot be changed. Sorry! :(

Of course, you can display your tasks' time estimates in hours in columns (currently called Program Perspective but will be renamed to Column View soon) but still, that hourly granularity won't be reflected on the Gantt's grid. 

Let me know if I can help any further with this.

Best,
Tomek

Like Paul Bastowski likes this
Ross Baker August 6, 2020

HI,

I am experiencing the same issue around the creation of a ticket and the mapping of it onto the Gantt Chart. I would expect it to map both ways from the Gantt to the ticket and vice versa as per Microsoft Project or Azure Dev Ops

The only thing mapping through is the Duration on the creation of the Jira Ticket.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Ross

1 vote
Blake Hodder January 27, 2020

@Tomek-SoftwarePlant  Is there any chance that this will be something brought in? This would provide much greater visibility for us.

Thanks.

Adam February 4, 2020

@Tomek-SoftwarePlant  I need this functionality too. Otherwise need to move to a different tool. :/

Like Nathan Forster likes this
Tim Yeaman February 14, 2020

Me as well.

Medini_Bhat May 28, 2020

Me too

Tomek-SoftwarePlant
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2020

Hi guys, please keep track of this ticket.

It's pretty much in top of the most frequently requested features and, from what I've managed to find out, we're planning to start working on it (development part) somewhere in mid July. 

PS. if troubled with getting that link open, try in-private browsing. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events