Big Picture and multiple applications

Arak Khan January 28, 2016

Let’s say I have 2 or 3 applications and share ressources (same developper on 3 projects). This developper doesn’t come for 3 days because he is ill. How can I report that in BigPicture and how can all 3 projects move accordingly? We are a small company, with one developper of every ressource (1 iOS / 1 php / ...). So every developper is somehow critical, that's why I need a way to manage all the projects and developper and every delay have an impact on all projects and developper. Is there some kind of tutorial or training that I can get to speed me up?

1 answer

0 votes
Matthew Jagiello
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2016

In BigPicture, you can assign the same resource to multiple Programs, or create a Program that pulls many projects this resource is involved in. Both approaches are viable for including this developer into multiple applications. Now, in your scenario one developer is ill for 3 days. There are  2 ways to handle this.

One is to go Enterprise. Recently we have released BigPicture Enterprise, which is pretty much a more advanced version of BigPicture. It lets you define ill days and working hours individually per resource and takes them into account.

Alternatively, if you wish to stay on the standad BP, you can work around this by creating a Program for this developer (for instance, with filter assigne=Username). Each Program can have its own non-working days in its configuration. Once you add the 3 days into this developer's Program, any tasks scheduled for the ill days will be enlarged (moved) to the closest days when this resource is actually available. This wil be synced into other Programs in around 3 seconds, too, so you will still be able to view a general Program with all your initiatives/one full project/one full team/anything else you might want to have. For example:

1 Program for each developer

1 Program for each project

Optionally, 1 Program for all projects at once, as it sounds like this would be handy for you

If each dev sets their free days in their own Program (which they can be an admin of for convenience), the tasks scheduled for these days will be moved in their Programs. Now, this change, ie the new start and end dates of the moved tasks, will be synced into other Programs in a few seconds. So when you open the project Program or the overview one, you will see the tasks in their new positions, after the ill days of the dev. Therefore your plan will be up to date. Likewise, if you move these tasks back to the ill days, as soon as any dev opens their Program, they will be moved back to the next free ones.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events