Best strategy to rate work log entries and save cost amount inside Jira using tempo plugin and EazyBI

was aeronaves July 30, 2014

Hi,

I'm using Jira OnDemand and I want to "rate" the work log entries as users log them. I want to calculate the overall cost of tasks and subtasks. I want to store the total cost in the subtasks/tasks the users log so that I can use eazyBI to display my dashboards.

I have the Tempo Plugin and I can develop an application to "orchestrate" the whole process but I want to avoid having another database and would like to store all necessary information inside Jira to simplify architecture, backup/maintenance and because having information acessible by eazyBI is a must.

My questions:

I don't need "hot billing/rating" so I have 2 strategies for filtering the worklogs I need to rate: (a) rate as worklogs are created/edited/deleted or (b) having a batch job running once a day rating the worklogs create/modified since the last time the job was run.

In scenario (a): How can I "trigger" an action as worlogs are created/edited the same way I can do on transitions? Is there a notification or something I could use for it? Remember I have tempo

If scenario (b): How can I "mark" worklogs. Does worklogs have "attributes" the same way users in jira has? I was thinking about using Tempo Worklog Attributes but I don't want to show this to users and definetely no allow them to modify. I'm thinking in a custom field in the subtask but doing this way I needed to "mark" the issue everytime any workload inside it was edited/created/deleted.

As to where store the costs rated I also have 2 strategies:

(a) store them in the worklog themselves. Is this possible?

(b) store the overall sum of the worklogs in the subtask. How to do that?

Any ideas as VERY Welcome.

If someone has already done this I would even pay to get this done for me.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2014

Hi!

What would be the criteria by which you would like to rate the worklog hours?

I wanted to suggest that eazyBI supports additional data import to JIRA Issues cube. If you could give me more details on what would be the criteria on how to calculate costs, I would be happy to help and create eazyBI MDX formula or suggest what additional data import could be set up.

You can also contact me directly at support@eazybi.com

Kind regards,
Lauma

was aeronaves July 31, 2014

Hi Lauma,

As a matter of fact I've realized eazyBI can help me but I'm not profficient at MDX enough to acomplish on my own. I've already sent you 6 hours ago a e-mail to support@eazybi.comso It's already in your inbox.

Basically the criteria is a simple multiplication of the worklogs by the cost of the person logging. The cost is a google spreadsheet like the one in this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v3BqpCb1KNoEQSVVlMawvGl3rURiGcVZ9LxMHJrF-_Q/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for your help

was aeronaves August 3, 2014

It solved my problem!!!!

I definitely recommend eazyBI because it's very flexible and the support provided by them is very good. They basically helped me design and implement the solution. I'm calculating my costs and target sales price without having to implement any single line of code!!!

0 votes
Tobias Reibling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2014

Hi Vinicius,

You might want to have a look at ictime, this plugin implements the complete functionality to rate work logs with prices (or cost) and to "charge" them etc., including advanced management of teams and rates, and reporting. This would be an alternative to Tempo. If this is not an option as you are using specific features that Tempo has and ictime not or in general you don't want to change your time tracking tool, it would at least make sense to study the approach of ictime. From my point of view, a proper solution of your problem requires a plugin that enhances the JIRA work log with additional data, and you need some (more or less advanced) management of your rates (they might change, they might be different by kind of work, employee, team etc.). I don't think that any kind of workaround with custom fields in JIRA and/or work log attributes in Tempo would make you happy.

Best regards

Tobias

was aeronaves July 31, 2014

Thanks Tobias for your answer.

As I'm using OnDemand ictime is not an option for me.

I'm really disappointed that most of the plugins' providers are not porting their solution to the OnDemand platform....

Maybe I need to move my Jira out of OnDemand and host it myself but I don't have budget to do it now.

If I do so I'll consider ictime

Tobias Reibling
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2014

Hi Vinicius,

Sorry, did not see that this was also tagged as OnDemand. Reason that many vendors do not provide their plugins for OnDemand is that the technology is completely different, so you would basically need to write the complete plugin again, you can't really migrate something existing.

If it is no option for you to change to an own server, maybe your problem is going to be solved by Tempo Books, a product announced by Tempo some time ago. Only problem is that this seems to be a bit stuck (should have been released early this year, together with Tempo Planner) and once it will be available, it might take some more time to be available on OnDemand. You can find some information here: https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/EAP/Tempo+Books+EAP

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events