Behaviours and templates with new lines

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2015

ScriptRunner's Behaviours feature is great for setting default values for system fields such as Description. The documenation at https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html#_setting_a_default_description is detailed but we're having trouble preserving new lines in the text.

The example in the doc has some cryptic replacing of whitespace (what's that about?) but what character should be used for a plain old new line in the text?

1 answer

1 vote
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2015

Hi Matt... the example you point to in the docs shows setting a multiline description using the groovy triple quote for a multiline string. Doesn't that work for you?

For a single line string you should be able to use the normal newline character: \n. 

The example in the doc has some cryptic replacing of whitespace (what's that about?)

Yeah I had doubts about having that in the example. Basically it just removes leading whitespace. If that wasn't there either the lines in the description would have a leading tab or two, or I would have to put the multiline string in column 1 in the example, which looks a bit pony. So it's just a stylistic thing in the code.

If this is not working can you let me know the JIRA version and the type of field that you're setting - is it the description?

Ruiza Cruz September 14, 2015

hi @Jamie Echlin (Adaptavist) , the example in the documentation (https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html#_setting_a_default_description) works. tried both triple quote as well as \n for single string and it's working fine.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events