Behaviours and templates with new lines

ScriptRunner's Behaviours feature is great for setting default values for system fields such as Description. The documenation at https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html#_setting_a_default_description is detailed but we're having trouble preserving new lines in the text.

The example in the doc has some cryptic replacing of whitespace (what's that about?) but what character should be used for a plain old new line in the text?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Matt... the example you point to in the docs shows setting a multiline description using the groovy triple quote for a multiline string. Doesn't that work for you?

For a single line string you should be able to use the normal newline character: \n. 

The example in the doc has some cryptic replacing of whitespace (what's that about?)

Yeah I had doubts about having that in the example. Basically it just removes leading whitespace. If that wasn't there either the lines in the description would have a leading tab or two, or I would have to put the multiline string in column 1 in the example, which looks a bit pony. So it's just a stylistic thing in the code.

If this is not working can you let me know the JIRA version and the type of field that you're setting - is it the description?

hi @Jamie Echlin (Adaptavist) , the example in the documentation (https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html#_setting_a_default_description) works. tried both triple quote as well as \n for single string and it's working fine.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 22, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How a Marketplace app tech team is achieving gender diversity

Hello! My name is Genevieve Blanch, and I'm the Marketing Manager at RefinedWiki, creators of apps to give teams the tools to customize Atlassian platforms. Currently, 44% of the tech team at Re...

513 views 3 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you