Bamboo Hipchat Plugin Error

Jan Peek February 16, 2016

I've set up the Atlassian Bamboo HipChat plugin and created a notification using it. No message is ever sent to the room and in the bamboo-stdout.log file I see the following error:

2016-02-16 10:25:32,955 ERROR [AtlassianEvent::0-BAM::EVENTS:pool-3-thread-3] [SystemAuthorityThreadFactory] Uncaught exception in thread AtlassianEvent::0-BAM::EVENTS:pool-3-thread-3
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.atlassian.bamboo.variable.CustomVariableContext.getVariableSubstitutorFactory()Lcom/atlassian/bamboo/variable/substitutor/VariableSubstitutorFactory;
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.hipchat.HipchatNotificationRecipient.getTransports(HipchatNotificationRecipient.java:130)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.notification.NotificationDispatcherImpl.dispatchNotifications(NotificationDispatcherImpl.java:49)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.notification.chain.ChainCompletedNotificationListener.handleEvent(ChainCompletedNotificationListener.java:105)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1255.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
	at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)
	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateInterceptor.invoke(HibernateInterceptor.java:119)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
	at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:92)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:207)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy1191.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1255.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
	at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)
	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateInterceptor.invoke(HibernateInterceptor.java:119)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:207)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy1192.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.event.legacy.LegacyListenerHandler$LegacyListenerInvoker.invoke(LegacyListenerHandler.java:55)
	at com.atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher$1$1.run(AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.java:46)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.utils.BambooRunnables$1.run(BambooRunnables.java:49)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.security.ImpersonationHelper.runWith(ImpersonationHelper.java:31)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.security.ImpersonationHelper.runWithSystemAuthority(ImpersonationHelper.java:20)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.security.ImpersonationHelper$1.run(ImpersonationHelper.java:52)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Any idea what's going on here? I feel like something is out of date... I am using the latest version of the plugin (5.1.1).

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Don Willis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2016

I feel like something is out of date... I am using the latest version of the plugin (5.1.1).

My guess is your Bamboo server is too old for the plug-in version you're using. 

The error says that the com.atlassian.bamboo.variable.CustomVariableContext.getVariableSubstitutorFactory() method is missing.  According to the API that method has been in Bamboo since 5.9, so my guess is you are using a version of Bamboo older than that.

Jan Peek February 18, 2016

You're right, we're on 5.8.1. 

Thanks

0 votes
Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2016

cc @Don Willis

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events