Automation rule for closing the bug

David Kopp April 4, 2019

How do I create an automation rule so tht only user having role QA (existing role in our JIRA server) on the project can do a state transition to close the bug? Thanks a lot

2 answers

1 vote
Deleted user April 4, 2019

Hi David,

Thanks for your question. With Automation for Jira it isn't possible to stop the user doing this, however, you can create a rule that will try to stop this:

stop.png

What I have here is an example of how you could achieve this with A4J. If a bug is transitioned to done and the user isn't in the correct group (I don't have your group but you get the idea hopefully) then it transitions the issue back into the in progress state and it sends them an email asking them to not do it again!

Automation doesn't interfere with workflows in Jira, it just responds to the results of them so this is the best that you can achieve with it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers,

Simeon [Automation for Jira]

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2019

That's a very elegant workaround given the availiable options :) Well done! 

David Kopp April 5, 2019

Hello Simeon,

thanks indeed, it would have been usable yes if only we use groups and we don't. We use project roles (such as Administrator, Developer, Scrum Master, QA etc). So on the project level we add user to the specific role. And now we need to make sure that only role QA is able to close bug.

Thanks anyway!

Cheers,

David

Deleted user April 6, 2019

Hi David,

My apologies for misunderstanding your question. I'm afraid that we don't support doing this sort of check in our user condition at the moment. We have an improvement in our backlog around adding this in however, https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-205.

Cheers,
Simeon [Automation for Jira]

0 votes
Choon Keat Seet April 4, 2019

You edit the workflow

* Select the transition

* Select Condition

* Add "User is in Any project role" and select QA

* If you QA role is a project role, (which will be preferable) you select "User is in project Role"

** So you dont have to adding users to roles but just change the user in the project roles

* Do remember to publish the changes

Hope this helps

David Kopp April 4, 2019

Thanks a lot for your answer, and yes this is the way we can do it. The problem is that it will become server wide for all the projects using this workflow. I was thinking more of creating rule (using automation in JIRA plug-in) on the project only.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events