Automation for Jira Sending Email to Multi-User Picker Field

Cole
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2019

I am trying to use the Automation for Jira add-on to send an email to users in a multi-user picker field, but I can't get it to work. Based on some documentation I found it seems like this should work: {{#issue.customfield_16428}}{{emailAddress}}, {{/}}. However, it still does not seem to be working. My rule shows as successful, but I did not receive an email and the output is this: "Email "QA-39686 has been completed" sent to <{{#issue.customfield_16428}}{{emailAddress}}, {{/}}>"

Is there a particular way to do this that I am missing?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user February 18, 2019

Hi Cole,

The audit log message around sending emails is like that to avoid adding too much identifying user information in audit logs. You can print out the raw value by adding a "Log action" component before sending the email with your smart value "{{#issue.customfield_16428}}{{emailAddress}}, {{/}}". This will give you the value to help figure out if your custom field is being read correctly.

In regards to the email not sending, the server version of Automation for Jira hooks into the inbuilt Atlassian mail queue. Success in our audit log usually means it's been accepted into Jira's queue but it could still failure there, you should be able to find more information by looking in the user interface for Jira's mail queue.

Cheers,
Yvan

Cole
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

Hey Yvan,

I appreciate the response. Adding the Log Action did produce the correct value. I also saw the emails go into the mail queue and then leave with no errors, however I did not receive the email.

I am using a third party extension for "Send PDF" and I assume that is the issue. It seems that extension does not support custom expressions here.

I guess I will have to find a way to populate this with a script action or something of the like.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events