Automatic response to External Users via Email This Issue Plugin

Nancy Pham July 2, 2013

I am testing the Email This Issue Plugin and had a question on how to enable an automatic response to an external user for comments or updates made on the issue.

Example:

- User submits an email to JIRA from an external account (say another company)

- JIRA receives email and creates a ticket.

- JIRA sends an Issue Created notification to the external user.

- Then, someone makes a comments on the ticket.

- Now, JIRA sends an automatic Issue Comment notification to the external user notifying them of the comment. It does save the external user's email address in a custom field, but it does not send an automatic reply to them.

12 answers

0 votes
Catheline Dass October 11, 2017

Hi there,

Is there a functionality in JETI,where it will send auto reply to failed email creation or failed comments.

Thanks!

0 votes
IT Kobo March 7, 2015

Thanks for the quick response.

I have created a Mail Handle for the Project and set the Recipient field as "Contacts". I then created the Notification Scheme and added the events for Created and Commented and set "Contacts" for Recipient. I also created the Context to tie together the Mail Handle and Notifications.

I do see in the mailbox that an undelivered message comes in. It tried to send the notification of the Comments to external@mycompany.com which is how I set up the Default Reporter in the Mail Handle within the System Mail Handle for the Project. I assumed by setting up the field in the Addon it would override this.

Thanks

Xhovana

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 7, 2015

Hi, this is basic feature in this addon, so it will work.

What is the type of your field that stores the external address?

To set a field as recipient, you need to select it in the recipient drop down where roles, groups etc can be selected.

Also after creating the notification scheme, apply it to you projects and types by creating a Context.

I recommend you read the tutorials that guide you through the steps.

Tibor

0 votes
IT Kobo March 7, 2015

Hi There,

I am trying to configure Notifications for Issues Created and Comments for External users. I am able to receive the emails if I click the Email button within the Issue but when I add comments to a ticket it does not send a notification to the external email address.

When I try and create a notification scheme for Created or Comments in the recipient field it only allows me to enter an existing user not a field name which I have set the external user to map to.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, this is the main reason we are looking at this plugin.

Thanks

Xhovana

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 11, 2013

Our documentation has been improved with a page detailing automatic responses: http://www.meta-inf.hu/wiki/display/PLUG/How+to+set+up+auto-reply+or+acknowledgment+emails

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
August 11, 2013

Hi Nancy,

I'm back from vacation. I'm in CET so it may be difficult to organize. Can you contact me via skype?

Tibor

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
August 1, 2013

Nancy, as the mail item appears on the mail queue, I must say the problem must be in your email infrastructure, SMTP server configuration, etc. JETI seems to build the email and posts it to the queue to be delivered by JIRA.

If you want, we can set up a screensharing session and I can check your JETI config to make 100% sure it is correct. But the symptoms indicate problem with something outside the scope of JETI.

Nancy Pham August 1, 2013

Hi Tibor,

Yes, a screensharing session would help immensely! Are you in PST Time zone. Can I send you a calendar invite to your email address for next Tuesday?

If all configurations and mail queue are correct then I will follow up with other folks to see if it is an infrastructure, server error.

Thank you

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
July 31, 2013

Can you please try this?

- open Administration / Mail Queue in a browser tab

- use the Email button to send an issue to an external or internal email address in another tab of the browser

- when sent, immediately refresh a mail queue page to see if the mail item appears on the queue.

Please let me know your experience

Nancy Pham August 1, 2013

So the mail queue does appear with the mail item when i sent it from the Email Buttons, immediately after I hit the button and it was there.

Then i refreshed after 5 mins, it was no longer in the queue, but nothing came to the gmail account either. I emailed you a screen shot in case.

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
July 31, 2013

Do you receive normal JIRA notification emails? can you please configure JIRA Notification scheme, set My changes to notify me in your profile, and do something?

I belive it is a more generic emailing problem with your JIRA instance, I cannot think of anything else.

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
July 30, 2013

Hi Nancy,

Is it still an issue?

sometimes users experience this when there is a corporate email security that does not allow you to send emails to certain domains.

To check this, can you please go to JIRA Administration\Outgoing Emails and use the "Send a test email" feature to send an email to your gmail email address? Please enable SMTP logging by checking the option in the send test email screen.

If the email does not arrive, the SMTP logging may help figoure out the causes. You can copy it here and I can have a look.

Regards,

Tibor

Nancy Pham July 30, 2013

Yes - this is till an issue even though i've run the test connection during the set up process. test and everything works fine.

I think I am having problems configuring it to send any response at all to the external email (in this use case - gmail). I will take some screenshots and see if they will help explain my problem. Thanks!

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
July 8, 2013

Hi Nancy,

How have you set up auto-response? Have you configured JETI mail handler to send auto-reply emails?

If you open an issue and click the Email button and enter the sender's email address (gmail) in the recipient field, do you receive the email to that gmail account? I suppose this email address is external to your company.

If you don't receive the email to the gmail account, there must be some email server security limitations that prevent this.

Please let me know and I can assist you further.

Tibor

Nancy Pham July 22, 2013

Hi Tibor,

Sorry for the late response, your attention and support is really appreicated as I test this out. So I have configured every thing and even with the "Email button" and selecting the external mail sender's in the recipient field (as it was configured to save the email in a custom field, I still do not receive anything in the gmail account.

Still researching if this is someone how an email security limitation.

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
July 3, 2013

Hi Nancy,

This is certainly possible. There are a few cases.

To implement auto reply upon issue created:

1. If you use JETI Mail Handler to import email into issues or comments

In such case you need to set up a Mail Handler Context and configure it to send auto reply emails.

2. if you use JETI mail handler without autoreply

In this case, configure the mail handler context to save the sender's email address to a text custom field.

Set up a JETI Notification scheme and configure the Issue Created event with this custom field selected in the recipient drop down.

In this case, JETI will make sure the autoreply will be sent to the email address(es) stored in the custom field when the issue is created from the email.

3. If you use a Non-JETI Mail Handler

Make sure you save the sender's email address to a custom field.

Set up a JETI Notification scheme and configure the Issue Created event with this custom field selected in the recipient drop down.

In this case, JETI will make sure the autoreply will be sent to the email address(es) stored in the custom field when the issue is created from the email.

To implement email notification upon a comment entered:

Make sure the external user's email address is saved to a custom field. (e.g. using the JETI Mail Handler that can do this for you)

Set up a JETI Notification scheme and configure the Issue Commented event with this custom field selected in the recipient drop down.

In this case, JETI will make sure an event notification will be sent when the issue is commented by a user.

I hope this is clear. If not, please ask further questions so that we can help you.
Regards,
Tibor
Nancy Pham July 8, 2013

Hi Tibor,

Thank you for your response. I set-up and configured the JETI for auto-reply emails, set up a JETI notification scheme for Issue Commented and have the sender's email address saved to custom field. However, the auto-response notification still does not work.

I receive notifications as a "watcher" and "assignee" where I can see the notification being sent to the email address. But when I check that email mailbox (a gmail account) there are no notifications or responses being sent to it. And it is not in the Spam box.

Are there additional steps/securities I should check before the auto-reply will work?

Thank you,

Sreedhar Boggarapu February 25, 2014

Hi Tibor, I tried to search for HETI plugin on my JIRA instance. But the the search is not brining up any results. I am not using downloaded JIRA. Does it have any dependency?Please advice. I greatly appreciate your help.

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
February 26, 2014

JETI is not available for JIRA OnDemand.

Tibor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events