Automatic planning by assignee?

Martin_Christensen September 24, 2015

If I have 100 issues in my project, assigned to 10 developers.

The 100 issues haven't got any internal dependencies, so which issue to be done first or last doesn't matter.

Is it then possible to render a gantt diagram per automatic, based on the ressources (assignee and remaining estimate)? ...and possible by a workload param too?

/Martin

10 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2015

Please ensure, that you have got project admin permissions, then switch into the administration of your project and select tab "Gantt-Chart" on the left. Now, set the project's start and end date on tab "Gantt-Chart configuration". You will see a large button at the bottom named "generate planning dates ....". Optionally, adjust the default amount of estimated effort for those issues having no estimations. Then click on that button to create an initial project plan started at your specified start date.

Selecting tab "Project availabilities", you will see a time table from project's start date to its end, listing all users which are assignable for that project. Right to their names, you can configure availability per user for that project in %. So, if somebody is available 75% and an issue has an effort of 3 days, it will be scheduled on 4 working days. Additionally, you can click into the calendar to mark single days as (non-)working day, e.g. exceptional work on a weekend or for holidays etc.

Kind regards,
Frank

PS.: latest version 3.2.5 is available for download on my server at http://www.polscheit.de/plugins/jira/gantt-chart/gantt-3.2.5-JIRA6_2015-09-25T15-28-50Z.jar

0 votes
Martin_Christensen October 5, 2015

Hmm... It seems to work better now, though not perfect. If I remove some of the blocked days in the middle of a period, the rescheduling seems to be ok on the new available days, but the rest of the tasks are still place wrongly on blocked days.

Check this screen: http://i.imgur.com/YxVljlj.png

Marked with green, the rescheduled 2 hour task placed in the 3 new free day - why re-scheduling uses all 3 days, I don't know - could have used just one day?!

Marked with red - two other tasks - wrongly rescheduled. They should have been moved to starte on the 3 new free days, right?

/Martin

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2015

Hi Martin,

please download latest pre-version 3.2.5 from my server at http://www.polscheit.de/plugins/jira/gantt-chart/gantt-3.2.5-JIRA6_2015-10-02T20-44-19Z.jar and install this JAR-file via „upload“ button on JIRA’s page „manage add-ons“ as system admin. Does this version works for you?
Kind regards,
Frank
PS.: if an issue has been resolved, it will not be re-scheduled any more.
0 votes
Martin_Christensen September 30, 2015

Yes - and I have tried disabling and enabling it, but nothing changes.

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2015

Do you have enabled re-scheduling within the add-on global configuration? That's a prerequisite for this feature.

Kind regards,
Frank 

0 votes
Martin_Christensen September 29, 2015

Sorry, but it's not working as you are describing.
http://i.imgur.com/QVMpFxH.png
This screenshot is my test project. I have 2*3 task, on 2 developers. As you can see by the red color, I have blocked some days. Regardless, when initial rendering of the gantt chart (the first time without any startdays on any of the 6 tasks), the above screenshot is what I get.
This must be an error right?

If I go change the days a developer is blocked from work (adding even more blocked days), nothing is changed in the gantt except more red days. I get this:
http://i.imgur.com/wFA4tXg.png
An error I believe?

Or am I totally missing the big picture here? smile

/Martin

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2015

The project's start date is only needed for the large button "generate planning dates for issue without plannings ..." as well as to properly draw a timeline to maintain availabilities on that project.

To use that button twice, you have to delete the content of planned start and end date of the related issues. This is necessary to avoid overwriting of manually adjusted plannings by mistake.

Generally, that button is intended to be used once in case of existing projects having set for use of Gantt-Chart initially. Getting a Gantt-Chart on screen, you can link issues using 4 dependencies like finish-start etc. as documented on my wiki (https://polscheit.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GANTT/Create+Issue+Links+on+Gantt-Charts). This will force a re-scheduling if you have enabled that feature within the global add-on configuration. If you click on the small cog icon on the left bottom, you execute a reload/refresh of the Gantt-Chart e.g. if a collegue has created other issues in the meantime in parallel and you want to get them on screen.

If you switch into the project administration, tab "Gantt-Chart" on the most left and then tab "Project Availabilities", you will see a list of all assignable users of that project and a calendar on the right from project's start to end date. Weekends are marked in light yellow. Please click on a cell (e.g. 2015-09-29 within row of user "fpolscheit") to toggle its state from available to un-available. If there are issues within that project being assigned to "fpolscheit" and starting <= 2015-09-29 and ending >= 2015-09-29, then these issues will be automatically re-scheduled and updated on the Gantt-Chart including their adjusted subtasks and dependent issues.

Does this helps?

Kind regards,
Frank

0 votes
Martin_Christensen September 28, 2015

Hi Frank

I downloaded and installed th latest versions your linked too. It changed nothing - perhaps I'm just doing it wrong.

I noticed a few things though:

1. Changing the project start and end date, to a new date placed AFTER the already scheduled tasks, doesn't change the already scheduled task - shouldn't they adapt to the new start and end date rules?
  2. Re-render the gantt still doesn't seem to happen - at least I can't find out how to do it smile
  3. Trying to generate the gantt again, just tells me there are no task without a start date - so nothing is changed. 
  4. Once I generate a gantt, I can't seem to re-generate it before at manually remove all the startdates - not very convenient smile

Let me know what I'm doing wrong - I'm sure it's just me smile

/Martin

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2015

Please download latest version from my server at http://www.polscheit.de/plugins/jira/gantt-chart/gantt-3.2.5-JIRA6_2015-09-26T17-19-19Z.jar and install that JAR-file via "upload" button on JIRA's page "manage add-ons" as system admin: I have build-in that new feature, which was on the roadmap up to now. Does this work for you?

Early versions just use the (non-)working days while re-scheduling, e.g. based on shifting issues etc. The new version forces an automatic re-schedule - if enabled - in case of changes of (non-)working days, too. If you do this within the "Personal Calendar for Gantt-Chart" (menu item just below "Profile" in the most top right), all effected issues independent from a specific project will be re-scheduled. If you modify (non-)working days for another team member as project admin within the context of a project's administration, just that project's issues are affected.

Kind regards,
Frank 

Nick Cuckson October 27, 2015

Hi Frank, That version doesn't exist. Is this one good: /plugins/jira/gantt-chart/gantt-3.2.6-JIRA6_2015-10-25T16-51-41Z.jar ???

0 votes
Martin_Christensen September 27, 2015

Hi Frank

Just perfect - it's works - sort of wink

All the above features seems to make sense, one thing though - if I choose some days to be holidays for some developers, somehow the gantt just marks those days in red, but still plan including those days?

In short: it doesn't seem like the auto reschedule is working? Is there some way to re-render the gantt?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events