Assign sub-tasks automatically

In JIRA I want to automatically add a developer to a sub-task, I think this can be done in two ways with:

1. When a (main) task/story/bug is assigned to a developer, all the sub-tasks are assigned to the same developer. 
  2. When the (main) task/story/bug is transitioned from status, all the sub-tasks are assigned to the person who triggered the transition.

However there is a problem with both ways. For the first method (which is preferable), the problem is that there is no option in JIRA Automation that support to automatically assign a sub-task to the same assignee as the parent task/story/bug. Or am I missing something?

The second method is problematic because in my case it's not the person who triggers the transition, but it's Bitbucket (by creating a branch or creating a Pull request). JIRA automation does not recognise this, and therefore doesn't assign a developer to the sub-task(s).

Do you have any suggestions on how I can setup JIRA Automation for this?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes
Nick Menere Community Champion Jan 04, 2017

Hey Peter,

This should be fairly easy to do and as you mention the first is preferable (and the only way to do it Automation for JIRA).

Currently, the Edit Action is more powerful than the Assign Action and it has an option to copy the assignee from the parent.

I'd create a rule that looks like:

image2017-1-5 12:0:33.png

This rule is made up of:

1. A trigger that listens for updates to the Assignee field
  2. A "Related Issues" action that branches for all Sub-tasks
  3. Then an "Edit Issue" action that assigns the issue to the value in the parent.

You can use Conditions to restrict what kind of issues this is done for.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks, this works perfectly!

Nick, I don't see that "Copy from Parent" drop down in my Edit Issues Component.  What am I missing?

Andreas Knecht Community Champion Apr 25, 2017

Hi David,

Can you post a screenshot please of what your 'edit issue' action looks like? Also can you ensure you are running the latest version of Automation for JIRA please (if you are in server)?

Cheers,

Andreas

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 11, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

You + one app + a desert island...

Hi all! My name is Miles and I work on the Marketplace team. We’re looking for better ways to recommend and suggest apps that are truly crowd favorites, so of course we wanted to poll the Community. ...

2,822 views 5 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you