Are Checklist custom fields calculated fields?

Dave Hollinden January 21, 2017

Hello,

The Checklist For JIRA plugin adds a custom field type called "Checklist." Is this a calculated field?

Thanks,

Dave

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Hollinden January 21, 2017

Hi Whyves,

Thanks for the quick response!

My experience with the term "calculated field" comes from use of the JIRA Misc Custom Fields plugin. 

https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JMCF/JIRA+Misc+Custom+Fields

In this sense a calculated field is one who's value is calculated from a formula and can reference the values of other fields. I believe that the value is therefore not stored in the database, and is instead calculated for display. This is actually what I'm curious about, whether the checklist fields touch the database or not. I'm running some tests to track down the source of increases in our reindex times, and have a hunch that calculated fields might play a role.

Best,

Dave

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 21, 2017

Ok, with this definition in mind then Checklist is not a calculated field. It uses only the value that it has stored in the DB.

0 votes
Dave Hollinden January 25, 2017

Hi Whyves,

Thanks for your responses. I've been performing  tests on our JIRA instances with regard to reindex time and use of calculated fields. At one point there was an unusual test result that involved the Checklist plugin, so I began to question whether it made use of calculated fields. That unusual test result could not be reproduced, so I think it was erroneous. And your responses also helped clear up the situation for me. 

Best regards, 

Dave

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 21, 2017

Hi Dave,

My initial answer would be no but can you explain your definition of "Calculated field"?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events