Allow managers to bypass Comala approval?

BJ August 13, 2018

We're using Comala workflows to manage our pages. The default process is for the user to make edits, change status to Pend Approval, and assign the topic owner to review the updates. Then the topic owner approves and the page is published.

I am trying to add a second option, for when the topic owner is making edits. The topic owner should be able to make edits and just immediately publish the page. My thinking was to use the state-selection macro for this, but I would need to show Pend Approval to everyone but only show Published to the topic owner. Is there a way to filter visibility for one of the states? Or is there a better/other way to skip to Published?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Rink
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2018

Hi @BJ, not sure if you've made any progress on this, but I do have a couple ideas you could try. 

The first would be to use a trigger to skip a state based on the user. So, it would look something like this:

trigger:statechanged|state=Request For Approval|user=confluenceadmin}
{set-state:Published}
{trigger}

Obviously in your case you'd have to identify the topic owner as the user.

Alternatively, you could still implement state selection but with conditions on who sees that option, something like this example:

{state:Draft}
{state-selection:states=Request For Approval,Request For SystemChange}
{state-selection:states=Published|user=confluenceadmin}
{state}

This would show other users the Request For Approval and Request For SystemChange states, but the user confluenceadmin would see the Published option as well. 

Not sure if these solve your issue, but maybe they will at least give you something to try. Best of luck! 

BJ August 23, 2018

Hi Mike, thanks for the suggestions!

For now I've implemented a version of the second solution, since we're thinking managers might conceivably want to either a) send something to another manager for review or b) manually bump it through review in order to leave a comment. Here's what I ended up with:

{state:Draft}
{state-selection:states=Pending Approval}
{state-selection:states=Pending Approval,Published|group=@ProcessApprovers@}
{state}

In practice, this shows a member of the Process Approvers group both options, while everyone else can only select Pending Approval.

Thanks again for the response! 

Mike Rink
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2018

Glad to hear you sorted it out! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events