All issues and comments are 'created by' admin user even if sent from actual user email address?

Taber Loveless
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

When creating or commenting on an issue via email, using the Email Iussue Handler, the 'created by' is always set to the jira admin user even if the senders email is that of an actual user.

It would make sense that if the senders email is not a user that this would be the case, but why do this if its an actual user who sent the email?

Is this a bug or by design?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Taber Loveless
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

This was my mistake.

I set the 'admin' account (which is also the 'default reporter" for inbound email) email to the same email address as the jira-user account I was testing with!

SO jira was always using the first account found from email match wich was the 'admin' account.

I changed the 'admin' account email and the 'created by' was assigned to the jira-user I expedted.

0 votes
Taber Loveless
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2013

This was my mistake.

I set the 'admin' account (which is also the 'default reporter" for inbound email) email to the same email address as the jira-user account I was testing with!

SO jira was always using the first account found from email match wich was the 'admin' account.

I changed the 'admin' account email and the 'created by' was assigned to the jira-user I expedted.

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 27, 2013

Hi Taber,

JETI's Auto-reply Email Handler is an extension of JIRA's Create Or Comment Handler. Therefore the core parameters and behaviour is exactly the same in both handlers.

What happens in your case in my opinion is:

- your senders are users in JIRA but do not have Create Issue permissions in the project in which you create the issues from emails. Can you please grant Create Issue permission to these users? If a sender user does not have Create Issue permission, JIRA uses the defaulot reporter (your admin user)

- As a consequence of the above, if you do not specify the default reporter handler parameter, JIRA cannot create issues if the sender users do not have Create Issue granted.

Again, this behaviour is not a JETI limitation but the default JIRA behaviour.

I hope I could help.

Tibor

0 votes
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2013

By default you put the reporter to Jira admin maybe ?

Your user need to have access to comment so be sure in the permission scheme.

Taber Loveless
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2013

Yes, the admin is my default user BUT
1) A 'default' user is required for JETI (otherwise non-user emails are silently ignored and never get processed by JETI).
2) Why does this default user get assigned as the creator EVEN WHEN the creator was an actual user? Should it not be a "default" IFF the user is unknown?

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 27, 2013

Again, if you don't specify a default reporter user in the handler parameters, emails from non-user senders are ignored by JIRA (not JETI), as it is not able to set the mandatory reporter attribute in such cases.

Please make sure your user-senders are granted Create Issue AND you have the default reporter set to your admin user to make sure non-user emails are processed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events