Advantages over using GIT plugin over built in DVCS

Nick Dring November 9, 2017

Hi, I need to integrate JIRA with Git for the first time and I'm trying to see what the plugin gives me over the DVCS.

I can find any documentation for that, can anyone explain?

2 answers

0 votes
Nick Dring November 10, 2017

Hi Adam, thanks for that!

We are using JIRA server.

Nick

Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2017

@Nick Dring - 

Ok - the Jira Server product also has:

- Repository Browser: 

• Browse repository files/branches/tags right in Jira
  • View all the commits by branch/tag
  • Compare: differences between branches/tags to produce a diff - also see the Jira issues associated with that diff. It's a handy way to see what Jira issues are related to a release.

- View Commits in Jira Dashboard Activity Stream

- API and Bulk Change features

If you have any questions - reach out to us at support@bigbrassband.com.

Cheers,

Adam 

Nick Dring November 13, 2017

Wonderful! Thanks for all the info Adam.

Cheers

Nick

Dinesh Yedla June 25, 2020

Hi Adam,

We are using Jira Datacenter 8.8 version in AWS cloud environment. Can you let us know the "Limitations Between Jira - inbuilt Git with DVCS and GIT Plugin"  

Thanks,

Dinesh

Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2020

Hi Dinesh - 

Good to hear from you. The answer will depend on what you are connecting Jira to - but for this answer - I'll assume you are using either GitHub.com or Github Enterprise.

The main advantages are going to be extra control over indexing and better performance (for performance - the main advantage is that the Git Integration app does a clone of the repository to your local Jira server and indexes that way. DVCS relies on the GitHub API which can perform slowly at scale. 

We are always making improvements to both of these options and have some big improvements shipping over the course of the new few months.

If you'd like to chat more in detail with our team - please reach out to us at support@bigbrassband.com. We can do a call if that would be helpful.

Cheers,

Adam

0 votes
Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2017

@Nick Dring - 

I'm the product manager for the Git Integration add-on - I will throw in some items.

Git Integration features not in DVCS:

- Git agnostic - any git repository can be added to Jira

- Code review in Jira - you can see the commit diffs right in Jira for very fast code reviewing

- Easier to setup GitHub integration

- GitLab integration

- Smart Commits

Features found in both:

- GitHub integration 

- Smart Commits (#time, #comment, and workflow transitions)

There are other differences - but depend on which Jira platform you are asking about (Jira Server or Cloud).

Cheers,

Adam

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events