Add outgoing email as comment

Benni January 24, 2013

Hello, is it possible to add a outgoing email as comment?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2013

Hi Benni,

So regarding the topic, I would say don't do that, loops could be avoided but really there is a better way.

JEMH has a Notification History IssueTab feature that tracks who sent what comment and who then recevied an update (including non-JIRA users), in a conversation style. Tracking all this info takes database space and isn't enabled by default. If you have a particular project that needs it, this should do the job?

Here is a screenshot of some Notification History content:

Exampkl Notification History IssueTab

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

You can do this with the standard incoming mail handler in Jira, not sure it's intended beahviour but it works.

Send you email to the recipient, CC in the Jira email account, something that Jira can access. the trick is to put the JIRA ID of your issue in the subject line.

The mail hander isnt that smart and takes the first issue ID that it can find, and adds your email as a comment (assuming the ID exists)

But I'd say, go the other way... add the comment and get Jira to send the email to the recipient via the notification scheme

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

can you be a bit more specific please?

right now it sounds like a loop to me..

jiras outgoing mails should create a comment on an existing jira issue?

each comment will fire an "issue commented" event that will be send by mail (outgoing) and creates new comments...

i don't think you want that :)

Benni January 24, 2013

Yes I know... it does not sounds like a loop, it is a loop :-) Thats my problem..

But I would like add the sent email as commet. The big bass word is tracebility.

Is there a other possibility to add the email as comment?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

sorry benni but i still do not clearly understand what the problem or the question is.

that tag you set shows you're topic is JEMH related.

could you please describe the goal you want to reach or the actual issue you're facing?

maybe somebody else will understand the actual description...but i don't. sorry for that

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events