Add local gitolite rep without cloning into /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data/git-plugin/

Select Field July 26, 2014

Is it possible to add a gitolite repository that is on the same local machine as the jira instance without cloning the whole repository into /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data/git-plugin/?

Thus far the only way I have been able to add the respositories on our local gitolite managed repositories (which is on the same server as the Jira instance) to the git integration plugin rep list is to give jira access to the gitolite repositories via ssh (eg: ssh://git@localhos/test_rep)

When you use this method the plugin clones the repository to /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data/git-plugin/

Because we need to add 50+ repositories I would rather avoid this as the data duplication is wasteful, but If we try and add the repository using the "advanced" settings, it does not consider the local Repository Root as valid (/var/git/repositories/test_rep).

Is this because it can't read the bare gitolite rep?
Or is it a permissions issue as the local repository location (/var/git/repositories) is owned by a the user `git` on the server?

*UPDATE*
I have created a group for the git repository folders and added the jira user to this group and it seems that this does not have an effect.

1 answer

0 votes
Irina Svirkina December 17, 2016

Git Plugin can successfully connect to a bare repositories located on the same local machine.

More probably this is a permission issue.

I have created a group for the git repository folders and added the jira user to this group and it seems that this does not have an effect.

You dig in the right way, but be sure JIRA user has read access to "/var" folder also.

How to check, that Git Plugin has read permissions to the local repository:

1. find JIRA user https://bigbrassband.freshdesk.com/solution/articles/11000022608-how-to-obtain-the-correct-jira-user-name-
  2. go to your JIRA server, login as JIRA user
  3. run 'cd /var/git/repositories/test_rep'. The command should be successful.
  4. run 'ls'. The command should be successful.

Please contact us at support@bigbrassband.com for any questions in the future.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events