Absorbing Field Content from A Subtask

Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2014

Recently we have installed the "Jira Misc Custom Fields" extension. What we're trying to do is use the calculated field to display the values of the SUM of a sub-tasks's custom field.

For example:
Subtask A provides a value of 200 in a numeric field (cf 11212)
Subtask B provides a value of 150 in the same type of numeric field (cf 11212)

We want A + B to sum up and dump into the Calculated Field on the parent issue (we'll say this is C).

I have found one other Answer related to this, here
When I try to modify this to me it looks like this:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField;

IssueManager issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager();
        CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();
        final CustomField customFieldObject = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_11212");

if(customFieldObject == null){
            return "Invalid Custom Field";
        }
        double total = 0;
        if (issue != null) {
            final Collection<Issue> subTaskObjects = issue.getSubTaskObjects();
            if(subTaskObjects != null && subTaskObjects.size() != 0){
                for (Issue subTaskObject : subTaskObjects) {
                    final Object value = customFieldObject.getValue(subTaskObject);
                    total += Double.parseDouble(value.toString());
                }
                return String.format("%.2f%n",total);
            }
            else{
                return "No subtasks";
            }
        }
        return "Internal Error";

When I enter this into the Calculated Field, it isn't pulling any information. Even when using the "Where's my Field?" tool, this is saying it doesn't have any data.

I'm not the most knowledgable on JavaScript, but form the documentation and comments I believe this should be functioning. Anyone want to help point out what I'm doing wrong? I have figured out how to do this inside of the task itself, but when trying to take from external issues is the problem.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2014

The source code is fine, but it seems to me you've choosen the wrong tool.

Please refer to https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+Fields from the script runner plugin. As for Misc Extention - I suppose there is little bit different syntax required and it is not so well-documented as script runner

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I've mainly used ScriptRunner when I wanted to fire off one-off jobs. Would I be able to write this script to somehow trigger itself each time an issue was updated, created, or on a schedule? (similar to a Cron setup)

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014

Also please note that inside that code there is no null pointer exception check - value can be null if there is no value for the field inside subtask

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014

You can run script runner as a service or write a listener that can kick off on events.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/115467/using-script-runner-as-a-service

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014

Also if you select the option with calculated field - it will be refreshed each time the issue is viewed.

If you want a static readonly field that is being updated only when child issues are updated - your choise is the script listener, service is not better solution for that

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Listeners

here is more info about creating listeners with script runner

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2014

Thanks for the info Alexey & Steve, I'm now putting my efforts towards configuring this on Script Runner via listener.

However, after looking at that bit of code a bit more I'm wondering if I need to point a few more things to actual fields and Issue Types.

For example, do I need to configure Line 16's "final Collection<issue>" and point it to a specific issue ID? From what I gather, this should be the field that the custom field (11212) is printing to?

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2014

If you are writing listener - first of all you should check that the issue that was updated is the needed one - so you should check that the issue is subtask and (maybe) lies in the needed project. After that you should check the changeset - if the field of your interest was changed. And after that - you are getting parent issue from your subtask - and then execute the code posted below - with the parent issue as issue.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion, I ended up slightly modifying the script to work in a Scripted field:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField;

IssueManager issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager();
        CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();
        final CustomField customFieldObject = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_11212");

if(customFieldObject == null){
            return "Invalid Custom Field";
        }
        double total = 0;
        if (issue != null) {
            final Collection&lt;Issue&gt; subTaskObjects = issue.getSubTaskObjects();
            if(subTaskObjects != null &amp;&amp; subTaskObjects.size() != 0){
            String debug = "";
                for (Issue subTaskObject : subTaskObjects) {
                    final Object value = customFieldObject.getValue(subTaskObject);
                    total += Double.parseDouble(value.toString());
                    debug = debug + value.toString() + ", ";
                }
                return String.format("%.2f%n",total);
            }
            else{
                return "No subtasks";
            }
        }
        return "Internal Error";

Suggest an answer

TAGS