why isn't Epic link an available option for the "Field value changed" trigger?

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2020

I've been trying to help a colleague write automation that would ideally trigger when an Epic link is added, changed or removed from a Story. But it isn't an available option under "Field value changed" trigger. Been able to get so far with JQL, but ultimately this functionality would make the process so much simplier.

Is there a reason why it isn't an option?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2020

Hi @Curt Holley 

I'm not sure why it's not there - it used to be possible to enter a field even if it wasn't present in the list, but that's not possible anymore.

However, Epic Link is part of the trigger Issue Updated - so that would be a more general trigger you could use instead to enable an action based on Epic Link being modified.

If this is insufficient - let us know the specifics of your rule and we can try to assist further :)

Ste

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2020

Yeah, i did play around with Issue updated and some JQL. Frankly I think you 'they" want is overkill and now we have Jira Premium, Advanced Roadmaps will help inspire changes in behaviour and their current need will go away.

Thanks again!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2020

Hi @Curt Holley 

Issue Updated will work - it's just that each edit made to an issue will count as an execution.

This makes it better to use at project-level where there are virtually unlimited executions, rather than it counted towards your global count.

There is a bug in regards to this - see AUT-1264 

If you do want to build-out the rule, feel free to give me what actions/conditions you need and I'd be happy to try create something for you :)

Ste

Like Curt Holley likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2020

Thanks @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I got it working using {{changelog.Epic Link}} in the Advanced compare condition

Like # people like this
Erin Blomert November 18, 2020

Hi there - I'm finding this issue a few months later, and I'm noticing that the Issue Updated trigger does NOT trigger when Epic Link is changed.  Has anyone experienced this change/found a workaround, etc?  

I am working with preventing people from adding issues to epics with status "closed", so this trigger is important.  

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  I hope you're still around!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2020

Hi @Erin Blomert 

Is the trigger the Epic Link being added? 

I find it can be easier to replicate the full rule; what are the other components (conditions, actions, etc)?

Ste

Erin Blomert November 23, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ , thanks for responding!

I haven't written the rest of the rule yet, because I can not get the trigger to work.  At the moment, I just have a 'log' action.   My trigger is "When Issue updated", and adding an epic link does not trigger it.  I can't figure it out, as it seemed to be working for you folks above.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2020

Hi @Erin Blomert 

Is it a Next-Gen project, or a Classic project?

Ste

Erin Blomert November 23, 2020
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2020

Hi @Erin Blomert 

As far as I know this is still not possible; the modification of the Epic Parent in Next-Gen does not trigger as an issue update.

I've tried a few other options such as...

• Related issue conditions
  • Branches

...but not found one that consistently triggers well for Next-Gen Epics!

Ste

Erin Blomert December 7, 2020

Thanks for trying!  Kind of ridiculous that the functionality just randomly isn't there.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2023

Update: Nov 23

Got a notification for this question so re-tested this issue - looks like it is possible now using the trigger Field Value Changed again

You can monitor for the field Parent - which appears to link to the Epic/Story relationship in both CMP and TMP. Just tried it and it seemed to be successful.

Ste

0 votes
David Marcial November 5, 2021

I was messing around with this and the automation rule below works (for Stories anyway), but I'm not actually sure why it works. It must be that the 2 smart values change at different times (as they should be the same thing) and therefore triggers the rule when editing the Epic Link in a Story. 

Epic Link Automation.png

Stephen Tobin December 24, 2021

The above from @David Marcial was not quite right to me, but it was enough to tip me off to the right solution to ensure that an issue's fixVersion is corrected to match the fixVersion of its epic (whjen the epic changes):

Screenshot 2021-12-24 150853.png

The above worked for me on Jira cloud.

BTW, I created another automation triggered on change of an epic's fixVersion to loop through all its issues and automatically update the fixVersion also. This covers the case where future epics get moved around in the roadmap as to when they will get done. 

Screenshot 2021-12-24 152848.png

0 votes
Vivian Escalante August 11, 2020

Hello @Curt Holley , are you using an add-on for this automation, such as Automation for JIRA or CPrime? Trying to understand from where you're trying to trigger this automation. 

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2020

Using Automation for Jira on Cloud

Got it, looks like Automation for Jira has a bug filed for this issue: 

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-707

The main reason why this is not supported is because when there's an Epic Link change Jira triggers 2 events which could potentially cause a loop in the Automation for Jira side: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-334#icft=AUT-334

2 bugs were sent to Atlassian (one for Cloud and one for Server), but seems like Atlassian closed them out due to "Timing Out": https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16118

For now what can be done is check the "Epic Link" field through regular expressions. A4J allows you to type in the field name if it's not available and "match" it. Let me know if that helps.Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 8.57.19 PM.png

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2020

Some more hints on how to "match" it would be much appriciated @Vivian Escalante  :-)

I tried "Epic Link" and it worked haha. Simply type it and hit enter. 

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2020

You on Cloud Jira? as that does not work for me...Tried both Epic Link and "Epic Link"

Like Beth likes this
Vivian Escalante August 13, 2020

@Curt Holley , sorry for the delay here. Unfortunately I'm not, but I see what you mean! I submitted an Atlassian ticket and will report back if they let me know about this. Thanks!

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2020

Thanks @Vivian Escalante see accepted and my final comment

Vivian Escalante August 18, 2020

@Curt Holley , great!

Aditya prasad September 1, 2021

njhgh

Suresh Mantrala November 8, 2023

On Cloud Epic Link under Field value changed trigger still does not appear. Not sure how someone got it though.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2023

Hi @Suresh Mantrala 

Try Parent instead.

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events