using linking to text in Sharepoint Connector

Jennifer Weber April 12, 2021

Hello - one of the things I like about the Sharepoint Connector to insert Sharepoint Docs into Confluence is that only major versions are available for sharing. Many of the links to documents on our Confluence instance are text links, like this.

Is there a way to select text and link to a published SP document? It seems to me that you can't, and using the Link option in the Sharepoint macro always inserts the file name, with styling that indicates that it is an attachment.

We're new to Sharepoint, and are interested in harnessing the version control options with major and minor versions. Only being able to link to published versions sounds great, but we'd like to do it as a test link. All of the docs in this library get linked in our Confluence instance. Is it just a rule of - hey, only link to major versions? But I could see that easily being overlooked. Is there a different plug-in, perhaps? Thanks so much for any input!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Almuth Boehme _Communardo_ April 13, 2021

Hi Jennifer,

I'm happy to hear that the SharePoint Connector for Confluence is working out for you.

To answer your questions:

1) Regarding link options

If you want to create a text link, you could get the SharePoint link for the document in question and use standard Confluence functionality (shortcut Strg + K) to link that document. Is that a viable option for you or do you have a specific problem in mind that would be solved if the SharePoint Connector could also link documents as text?

If that's the case I'm happy to forward this feature suggestion to our developers.

2) Regarding document versions

Currently the SharePoint Connector always displays the latest version of a document, no matter whether it is a major or minor version. Publishing in SharePoint means to make the current minor version to the new major version (1.2 -> 2.0).

If you want to link to an earlier version of the document, you can of course also use a Confluence text link.

Would it help you if you could control which version of a document is linked in the app's SharePoint Online document macro? If so, can you tell me a little more about the scenarios where you want to link to older versions?

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best

Almuth

Communardo Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events