"Move" a ticket to a different issue type

Darren Weaver October 4, 2017

Use case:

Workflow name is "research" or "projresearch"

The research workflow ends with the following options:

1.  Research complete- no further action (close)

2.  Create Defect

•      This uses the bob swift "create issue" functionality and a defect is created with a new jira key (issue number) while the research ticket is closed.

The problem:

It's difficult from a reporting perspective to "follow" the ticket because the issue key is changing.  I know from previous posts that preserving a jira issue key is not possible (re-use of a single number is not possible) so I'm looking for something @Swift(bob swift) via plugin that I'd be willing to pay for in order to get a solution.

Are there any existing plugins that have a good "move" UI? If not, I know there's a lot of companies that would benefit from this- is there a guide to creating plugins that I can reference?

1 answer

0 votes
Bob Swift _Appfire_ November 8, 2017

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier.

I have done many similar workflows and I recommend creating the issue as you are now. Normally, you would just add a link from the original issue to the newly created issue. There is a field for that on the create issue post function. This allows the original item with original assignee to be completed and kick off new work for someone else. If appropriate, you can optionally close the original after the new issue is created. 

Regarding move - I would avoid this in general for a scenario like you are describing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events