• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

"Domo is ready, but Jira failed to return the requested data with a '400 Bad Request' error."

Hello Atlassian - We have a DOMO Dashboard that takes data from Jira. Recently that error (My question) is popping up. This didn't start happening until today and need some help.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks!
Nick

1 answer

0 votes
Dario B Atlassian Team Dec 16, 2020

Hello @Nick Meints ,

If I understand correctly, you have a DOMO dashboard that is supposed to show data from Jira but recently broke and now every time it tries to load data from Jira it gets error 400 in return.

If my understanding is correct then, in order to proceed, we need to know a bit more on how the dashboard is loading the data from Jira. Specifically:

1. Are you connecting to Jira Server or Cloud
  2. Which documentation did you follow to configure this integration? Is it one of the 2 below (if not please point to the one you followed to configure the dashboard)?
  3.  When did this stop working?
  4. Did you recently change the JQL query to get the data from Jira?
  5. Can you try to load the data again and let me know time, date and timezone of the attempt?

Finally, I am moving this question to the Marketplace Apps and Integrations section since I believe that's the right collection for this question.

Cheers,
Dario

Hi Dario - Thanks for the reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. This is actually Jira Rest API
2. Domo has a native connector set up, we just had to use an API key
3. Stopped working on 12/11/2020 at 3:30 pm. Worked at 2:30 PM
4. Jira Query was not changed at all and multiple different queries started breaking that weren’t changed
5. Just attempted on 12/16/2020 at 12:08PM CST

JQL that is used: project = “BizOps Mission Control Center” and to INCLUDE fields issue_key, created, status, statuscategorychangedate, assignee, reporter, customfield_10500, customfield_13000, labels, customfield_10501, customfield_15700

Thanks,

Nick

Dario B Atlassian Team Dec 17, 2020

Hello @Nick Meints ,

Please notice that there are some differences between REST APIs for Jira Cloud and jira Server (authentication, some endpoints, etc) and that the two links I provided in my previous reply were indeed the documentation pages of the Domo connectors for Jira Server and Jira Cloud.

However, since you mentioned you are using an API key (API Tokens) to authenticate, I assume you are using Jira Cloud and therefore I have searched the logs for the instance https://jamxxxxxxx.atlassian.net.

In this case, in the access logs I can see a lot of error 400 returned for many requests sent to the /rest/api/2/search endpoint and, narrowing down to the given time, I can find the request you mentioned (19:08 CET = 12:08PM CST):

2020-12-16 19:08:53.618 GET 400 /rest/api/2/search?jql=project+%3D+%22BizOps+Mission+Control+Center%22&startAt=0&maxResults=100&fields=issue_key%2Ccreated%2Cstatus%2Cstatuscategorychangedate%2Cassignee%2Creporter%2Ccustomfield_10500%2Ccustomfield_13000%2Clabels%2Ccustomfield_10501%2Ccustomfield_15700

However, at the same time I cannot find any error logged by Jira related to a malformed request, but I can see some logs related to rate limiting and denying incoming requests towards the /rest/api/2/search endpoint:

2020-12-16 19:08:53.550 INFO com.atlassian.ratelimit.heimdall.HeimdallRateLimiter Request from context: {"containerContext":null,"costIncurred":-50,"subdomain":null,"estimatedCost":50,"heimdallContext":{"ip":"0.0.0.0","requestPath":"/rest/api/2/search","tenant":"24e2XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX","user":"u:557XXXXXXXXXXXXXX","artifact":"type:user"}}. Would be denied.

Now, it could actually be the case that the user configured for the integration have hit the rate limits but for some reason the error returned is 400 (bad request) instead of 429 (too many requests).

Therefore, in order to either confirm or deny:

1. Can you let me know if the user configured in the Domo connector has email address "service_XXXXX@jamXXXXXXX.XXX"?
  2. Can you try to run the same search request authenticated with the same credentials using curl with the -D- flag (to print the full header) and paste the reply in here, hiding the sensitive data like in below example:
curl -u <EMAIL-ADDRESS>:<API-TOKEN> -D- -X GET 'https://XXXXXXXX.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/search?jql=project+%3D+%22BizOps+Mission+Control+Center%22&startAt=0&maxResults=100&fields=issue_key%2Ccreated%2Cstatus%2Cstatuscategorychangedate%2Cassignee%2Creporter%2Ccustomfield_10500%2Ccustomfield_13000%2Clabels%2Ccustomfield_10501%2Ccustomfield_15700'

HTTP/2 200
server: AtlassianProxy/1.15.8.1
vary: Accept-Encoding
cache-control: no-cache, no-store, no-transform
content-type: application/json;charset=UTF-8
strict-transport-security: max-age=315360000; includeSubDomains; preload
date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 15:31:15 GMT
atl-traceid: f6491f02016ff7ab
x-arequestid: e88e4d98-50ba-49e3-92c7-c7a4490d142f
x-aaccountid: 557057%3A883024c6-XXXXXXXXXXXXX
x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block
timing-allow-origin: *
x-envoy-upstream-service-time: 241
x-content-type-options: nosniff
set-cookie: atlassian.xsrf.token=BAL3-JF4E-Z6CG-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_lin; Path=/; Secure
expect-ct: report-uri="https://web-security-reports.services.atlassian.com/expect-ct-report/global-proxy", enforce, max-age=86400

{"expand":"schema,names","startAt":0,"maxResults":100,"total":12,"issues"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX........

Cheers,
Dario

Dario B Atlassian Team Dec 18, 2020

Hi @Nick Meints ,

After talking to SRE I have been told that the cost based rate limiting is not enabled yet, so those logs are just showing that those requests will be blocked in the future but are not limited so far. So this is not related to the status 400 you are getting.

Also, they showed me that your cloud instance is actually logging spikes of status code 400:

image.png

Therefore, since this will require further investigation and since I will be off for the next 3 weeks, I strongly advise to ask the site-admin of your Jira (premium) instance to create a support request for this issue using: 

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Why you should move agile planning to Lucidspark’s digital whiteboard

During my 17 years as a coach, mentor, and trainer of Agile teams, I’ve participated in hundreds of Agile planning meetings. The end result was a wall of backlog items annotated by an explosion of co...

116 views 0 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you