"Blocked by" linked issue (parent) can be closed even though the blocker parent is still open

Motif Sizwe February 13, 2019

"Blocked by" linked issue (parent) can be closed even though the blocker linked parent is still open. How can I prevent this?

We are using JIRA v7.1.0

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Motif Sizwe February 13, 2019

@carolyn french@Nadine SchüttThanks guys for the quick response but I figured it out. I just added a validation on my workflow and now it is able to block the issue from being closed if there's still a linked blocker issue still open or in progress.

Ashley Frederick October 25, 2022

n/a

0 votes
alexander_tzonkov December 9, 2022

@Motif Sizwe Checking your initial problem, I am looking for the same thing - create validation to check before closing a ticket if there is any open ticket that is marked as blocked.
I was checking by myself a few options but was not able to identify how to add this validation through the workflow itself [I do not have the "Linked issues" as a potential validation option. Can you help me sharing with you how you did the magic?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. It is about Jira loud

0 votes
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2019

Hi Motif, and welcome to Community!

I noticed that you asked your question in the Marketplace Apps section. Which apps do you have installed? There are a few that can help solve your problem

Best,
Carolyn

0 votes
Nadine Schütt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2019

Hello @Motif Sizwe

Not matter which link type you use in a plain Jira - its purpose is merely to show a relationship between two issues rather than provide any conditions or actions. 

If you need a condition that the blocked issue cannot be transitioned without the blocking issue being resolved, you have to look at apps like Jira Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) or Jira Workflow Toolbox. Both offer options to add workflow conditions on linked issues. 

Best regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events