how to make automation rule change issue field value when issue moves

Виктория December 13, 2022

how to make automation rule change issue field value when issue moves?

i use automation rules, and choose trigger "when issue moves"

but when i move issues by more-> move or by bulk -> move 

between story 

the rule don`t recognized it.

what my options are?

1 answer

0 votes
Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2022

Hey @Виктория could you show us the print screen of the automation rule you have created? It will be much easier to troubleshoot it that way :)

Виктория December 14, 2022

@Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk 

both of the triggers don`t do anything.
a can see it in logs of the rule.

I move sub-task from one story to another and expected same value of parent story
Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 09.54.47.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-14 at 09.54.17.png

Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2022

What does the log say?

Виктория December 15, 2022

@Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk 
nothing the rule don`t catch any issues. the log is empty

Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2022

I just realised that you said you are moving them between stories - but are you also moving them between projects? Because the "move" trigger is designed to work when you change the projects

@Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk 
no. same project.

i need when move between story or epic in the same project

Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2022

Then this automation will not work. "Move" trigger catches only issues that you move between projects. 

If you are changing the parent ticket you could use trigger "issue field change" - for epic it would be "Epic Link" field.
As for the tickets under story - are this sub-issues or do you have hierarchy setting where story is also a a true parent ticket to issues? 

@Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk 
this sub-issues. just child of story.

story is parent of iisues just in structure by linkes.
but there is now the context.

we have case: when subs move story. thats all

Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2022

Okay. Try trigger "When value changes for "Parent Link" and make 1st condition "And issueType = sub-task" - then proceed with the rest of conditions and actions as you had them. 

Виктория December 16, 2022

@Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk 
unfortunatly same resolt. the rule doesn`t catch it

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 08.24.26.png

Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2022

Okay, so - I read more about it and it seems that you would need an add-on like a Script runner to make this trigger work correctly after all. 

Виктория December 19, 2022

@Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk 
could you share please a link and more info about it

Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2022

Not everything can be automated with JIRA Automation and this is a case here.

Somehow JIRA can't "catch" change of the parent issue for sub-tasks.

If you still want to have it you would have to use an add-on called ScriptRunner
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Can't help you with the details though, as I did not use ScriptRunner for JIRA server. 

Виктория December 21, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events