automation for jira. Update issue from linked issue fields.

Steffan Williams December 9, 2019

TLDR; How can I create a rule that updates the trigger issue with field data from issues found by a branch rule?

I currently have a manual automation rule that I intend to run on issue type TYPE_1, which runs as follows:

1) Find issues of type TYPE_2 with a particular custom field set.

2) Check if triggerIssue.customfield_xxx equals issue.customfield_yyy

3) If yes, create blocking link between triggerIssue and issue.

4) Add some labels.

So far so good. What I would also like to do is:

4) Append issue.customfield_aaa to trigger_issue.customfield_aaa

Is this possible?

I'm thinking I could create a new rule to automatically run when issues of TYPE_2 are updated, ie, find linked TYPE_1 issues and edit the values based on the triggering issue, but this seems a bit convoluted. Is this the only way to do it?

TIA

Stef

1 answer

1 vote
Victor Seger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2019

Hi Steffan,

I'm Victor from Automation for JIRA Support Team.

I was looking into your request and it seems that you're looking to edit the trigger issue inside of a branch. That is not currently possible and we have a feature request for tracking the development of this feature: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-938

It might be some time until we got to work on it, due to some higher priority items on our backlog.

Actually, your idea of workaround is pretty good, but there's a trigger that could help your rule which is the "Issue Linked" trigger. That way you could have a second rule which triggers when issues of TYPE_2 are linked and then you can perform the other validations as you've intended.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Victor

Steffan Williams December 11, 2019

Hi,

Thanks for that. As it turned out, my attempted workaround didn't quite work. I think I also tried with the linked issue action.

As I'm trying to append stuff from the linked tickets to the existing tickets, when it ran on a branched rule, it would only update with the content for the last linked issue. Makes sense once I thought about it. I guess it's looking at the original ticket for the existing field data, rather than updating for each branch rule.

EDIT: Just found the 'Re-fetch issue data' action. I guess that might have helped... 

Anyway, I've now flipped it all around, so on creation the 'child' tickets find and attach themselves to the correct 'parent', or create a new one and attach themselves if one is not found.

Seems to work at the moment. Got to say I love Automation, and I'm still learning more and more about what it can do. Keep up the good work.

Victor Seger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2019

Hey Steffan!

Awesome job in finding a workaround for your scenario!

Thanks for your kind words! 

If you have any further doubts about using the app, feel free to reach us in https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1.

We will be glad to help you!

Have a nice day there!

Cheers,

Victor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events