am using Automation for JIRA to run a script when the value of a numeric custom field changes and f

Priyanka khare June 14, 2021

Hello,

I am using Automation for JIRA to run a script when the value of a numeric custom field changes and for this, I am referring to the page https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/6.16.0/jira/plugins/automation-for-jira.html#_smart_values and section -

The changed field value is available anywhere smart values are supported using the {{fieldChange}} substitution. Use {{fieldChange.fromString}} and {{fieldChange.toString}} to access display values and {{fieldChange.from}} and {{fieldChange.to}} to access raw values (for a select field for example).

{{fieldChange}} only contains the first changed value. If multiple values are changed (e.g. when setting multiple Fix Versions) then you can iterate over these using the {{#changelog.fixVersion}}{{toString}}{{/changelog.fixVersion}} expression.

This does not work for my number field and I keep getting this error-  "

[c.o.scriptrunner.automation.ExecuteScriptIssueActionV2] Script function failed on Automation for Jira rule: Final script for FNBIPL Pillar - Updated, file: <inline script>, error: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "1.1"
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "1.1""

I am using the below lines of code-

def originalValue = ruleContext.renderSmartValues("{{fieldChange.from}}")
def currentValue = ruleContext.renderSmartValues("{{fieldChange.to}}") 

Can someone advise me on how I can fix this? I even tried {{fieldChange.from}} and 

{{fieldChange.to}} but it did not help

1 answer

0 votes
Jonny Carter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2022

I setup a number field and created an Automation rule to happen when it changed. Using this script:

def fieldChange = ruleContext.renderSmartValues("{{fieldChange}}")
log.debug "Field change: ${fieldChange}"
def originalValue = ruleContext.renderSmartValues("{{fieldChange.from}}")
log.debug "Original value: ${originalValue}"
def currentValue = ruleContext.renderSmartValues("{{fieldChange.to}}")
log.debug "Current value: ${currentValue}"

I saw this in my Jira logs when it changed:

DEBUG 2022-08-13 16:59:46,598 [onresolve.scriptrunner.runner.ScriptBindingsManager] Field change: ChangeItemBean{field='Some Num', fieldType='custom', from='null', fromString='1.3', to='null', toString='2000'}
DEBUG 2022-08-13 16:59:46,598 [onresolve.scriptrunner.runner.ScriptBindingsManager] Original value:
DEBUG 2022-08-13 16:59:46,599 [onresolve.scriptrunner.runner.ScriptBindingsManager] Current value:

Based on that, it looks like the change item's from & to fields are null for number fields.

I'm not quite sure how you're getting a NumberFormatException from that code. I can only assume that you're trying to convert the values into numbers somehow. Are you, perhaps, calling a method like toInteger on it? That would throw a NumberFormatException for numbers like 1.1, since 1.1 is a floating point number, not an integer.

If that's what you're trying to do, you could use the toBigDecimal() method. For example:

def originalValue = ruleContext.renderSmartValues("{{fieldChange.fromString}}")
def currentValue = ruleContext.renderSmartValues("{{fieldChange.toString}}")
def sumOfValues = currentValue.toBigDecimal() + originalValue.toBigDecimal()

log.debug "Sum of values: ${sumOfValues}"

Note that I'm using toBigDecimal to mask over some of the inherent silliness of floating point math.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events