It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

accessing external services

Is there a way to make a call to an external (non jira) REST API, like a custom made web service with data or a table on AWS DynamoDB?

thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev [cPrime] Community Leader Nov 06, 2017

Yes,  you can do it. It does not matter if you call a Jira rest function or any other program Rest function. It is all the same. 

You can find an example here

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Send-a-HTTP-POST-as-a-post-function/qaq-p/312384

Dario “Dokuro” Soto Nov 06, 2017 • edited

Thanks Alexey Matveev.

Do you think this could be what I was looking for, no?
https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/rest-endpoints.html

Rest endpoint in scriptrunner let you develop your own rest endpoint in Jira. You can call it from an external application. In other words the external application can call your Rest Api developed in Scriptrunner.  But as far as I understand you want the opposite. You want to call external application from Jira. 

Adam Markham [Adaptavist] Community Leader Nov 06, 2017

Hi Dario,

As Alexey mentioned you'll want to use that example of HttpBuilder to call out to external REST services. It will work from anywhere within ScriptRunner.

You can also use RESTClient to do the same.

Script REST endpoints are used so other people can call JIRA or if you have a front-end component that needs to call the server side of JIRA to produce some effect. For example update an issue.

Thanks,
Adam

I found this example where they seem to create an external REST endpoint to github to gather data.

Yes,  you can use it too.

I will be testing this options then. Thanks everyone.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Posted in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Demo Den Ep. 4: Continuous Integration with CircleCI & Jira Software

Get ready! Demo Den Episode 4 is coming your way on Tuesday, May 28, 2018 with a Continuous Integration and Delivery special demo. CircleCI Director of Solutions Engineering, Eddie Webb will show us ...

159 views 0 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you