Zephyr Environment Testing / Custom Fields / Test Cycle Grouping

Karen O'Connor December 3, 2015

Has there been any progress with regards to Custom Fields in Zephyr Execution view?

I am just about to start our first testing round using Zephyr and so far I have to say it has been a headache with having to employ numerous hacks and even it will cost a lot of time to produce the outcome I am looking for.

This is just one of many basic features that is missing from a QA management system. We migrated very recently (and painfully) from Bugzilla/Testopia, other that the nice UI,  agile boards and reporting features, I have yet to see any other advantages of using Jira. Testopia was very basic but it was very convenient and robust in what a testing system needs, they really understand the requirements of a company with various testing environments.

I'm not sure if i'm missing some of the features or haven't noticed a method to do what I need but I can explain it maybe.
I don't know about other companies/scenarios but for example what we need is for a "Testing Cycle/Testing Round" to consist of various tests in different environments that each have their own required tests (e.g. OS's, Browsers, Storage Systems, Hypervisors, Storage/Hypervisor combinations), so essentially the same test is run multiple times across different environments and naturally different environment types have different tests also. The setup is nearly there as far as i'm concerned, if there was another level allowed in the Test Cycle scenario this could actually work, where you could further have groupings of testcycles together under one test cycle. This would be good for getting an output also in charts on the gadgets. Otherwise what I would end up with is a vast number of test cycles per test Build which I cannot seem to produce a combined output for(We would have use the Build as testing round reference as this is the only way to distinguish between the testing rounds for milestone 1, milestone 2, etc) I would like to see for each test Round what the pass, fail rate was and how many bugs where produced and have this on a Dashboard.

Also we like to group certain tests together that are related, I currently use a custom field for this but unfortunately Zephyr for JIRA does not allow for this field to be used in the Test Execution view. I usually like to assign these groups of tests to one individual and this will be a tedious job when going through a few 100 tests.

Is there any way to do any of what I have mentioned above? Or would we be better to switch our testing management system?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2016

Hi Karen,

Currently, Custom Fields for the Execution page is in our Feature Request List internally and we have moved this request to our road-map. I've also gone ahead and added the feature request for having another level of grouping in test cycles.

Additionally, this functionality for grouping of test cycles is currently already available in our Zephyr Enterprise Edition and Community edition stand-alone products. You can see more information about those at the link directly below:

http://getzephyr.com/products/enterprise-test-management/zephyr-enterprise-edition

Regards,

Daniel

0 votes
Brian Ross December 3, 2015

In reference to grouping

One of the things we do is review the test cases, as they are being created, and assign labels to them for areas the test cases could cover.   When a certain area of our application needs to be tested, a search performed against the labels, to pull all the test cases together that will cover the area that needs to be tested.  The search results are reviewed to determine if we need to create a more specific label for the test cases or if more test cases need to be created.

After the label search is pulling the test cases we need, that search is saved.

Then when you create a test cycle, you can use the saved search results to populate test cases in the test cycle.  After the test cases are in a cycle, doing a bulk change should be pretty easy to change assignments, etc...

Hope some of this helps you out.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events