Xray, manage different requirement versions and impact analysis

Tristan FAURE June 22, 2021

Hello all

I'm quite glad of using xray but I have a question

I am receiving requirements from a customer. The requirements change their versions independently :

first import :

- req 1 version 1

- req 2 version 1

I create some tests and test runs

and then second import later : 

- req 1 version 1

- req 2 is now version 2

It seems it is not the typical use case for the fix version attribute (where all the req evolves at the same time if I understood well)

How would you configure xray for this ? 

Do you have an idea on how to perform impact analysis and check what tests would be impacted by a req version change (in my case, after the import, how to know what are the tests I should check because of req 2 change)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2021

Hi @Tristan FAURE

In Xray, you can view and the Status and have the reports showing the results based on the Fix Versions.

For instance, when executing a Test Execution, you can set the Version in which it will be tested.

And, after you can analyze the results based on Fix Versions in the reports and gadgets.

Here are some documentation links that should be helpful:

https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAY/Understanding+coverage+and+the+calculation+of+Test+and+requirement+statuses

https://docs.getxray.app/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=62267303

If you need additional help, please contact Xray Support (http://xraysupport.xpand-it.com ) so that we can help further.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Tristan FAURE August 16, 2021

Thank you for your answer ! it is pretty clear

I've seen that test executions contains a copy of details of the test.

Do you know if the requirements linked are also copied to the test execution ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2021

Hi @Tristan FAURE 

The requirements are linked with the Test case, not with the Test Execution.

However, you may create a Sub Test Execution as a Requirement Sub-Task; this way, you have a "sort of link" with the requirement. And the Sub Test Execution has the same features as the Test Execution, with the extra feature of also being a Sub Task of the Requirement. I hope this helps.

Would you please check the documentation page for some additional information:

https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAY/Sub-Test+Execution

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Tristan FAURE September 13, 2021

Hello 

I understand your answer I will rephrase

I have a test execution, the link with Test case exists. And my test case has a link to a requirement. So i can deduce the link between my test execution and my requirement.

My concern is : if in the future I want to check the context of my test execution. If i navigate to the test case, I have the former content (the content when the test is run) but if i navigate to the requirement i will have the current content and not the content of the requirement when the has been run.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2021

Hi @Tristan FAURE 

I don't know what do you mean by the current content of the requirement.

However, if the content of the Requirement varies over the course of time, one possible option would be to have several different requirements.

It is important, to be aware of the way Jira works, and the Xray uses the same issue approach, where every "object" of the testing procedure becomes a Jira issue.

So the solution could be by using Jira features, you can use Jira linking option to keep the relationship/context between the Requirement and the Test Execution.

Again the Sub Test Execution, could be a suitable option since it will appear as a sub-task of the requirement, and so having a close relationship between the Requirement and the Test Execution.

In case the content of the Requirement changes, then it is necessary that the Requirement has some mechanism to keep the history of the Requirement. Please remember that the Requirement is a Jira issue, not an Xray issue, so Xray does not provide any mechanism attached to the Requirement. Still, you should be able to use Jira features to help on this matter. Additionally, you may use Jira automation or other options to perform automatic operations.

If you need further help, please get in touch with Xray Support (http://xraysupport.getxray.app); we would gladly assist you further.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events