Xray: how to reuse tests in a test plan/test execution without cloning them

Marjorie Boogaerts October 15, 2018

Hello,

I am evaluating Xray (I first tried on Jira Cloud and I will now try on Jira Server). 

I have tests linked to user stories (themselves linked to requirements). I would like to be able to reuse my tests several times in a same test plan/test execution. I didn't find a way to reuse them without cloning them as Xray doesn't allow to add 2 times the same test in a test plan/test execution. The test set doesn't help me on this as I can't add 2 times the same test set in a test plan/test execution. Cloning the tests is not a solution because of maintenance problems (if a test step changes, I have to update all the clones of this test).

I would like to know if I am the only one to have this need. In QMetry they allow to add several times the same test case in a test scenario. So I guess I'm not the only one to use this. Does anyone have a workaround for this in Xray?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Marjorie

3 answers

0 votes
Xavier Burais December 7, 2023

Hi all,

This is an old subject but it still can be usefull.

I you want to reuse a test in several scenarios, you can use the "call test" functionnality.

You can find information about it:

Have a good day!

Xavier.

0 votes
zhilin yang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 13, 2022

Hi,

Anyone has figured out a solution?

It's so weird that a test case could be used for only single times.

If a new feature(story) should be tested by existing test case, previous test result will affect the new feature's "requirement status"

This is totally unacceptable!

0 votes
yann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 7, 2018

Asking exactly the same question... I don't think you can create composition/aggregation of tests to create/compose your functionnal test. So the only way I see is to create only high level tests and copy/paste all common steps ? Cloning tests would help but it's not ideal....

Marjorie Boogaerts November 7, 2018

Hi Yann. Thank you for your answer and your advise!

Your solution is for sure interesting but in my case it's more complicated.

I could have high level tests but I work in health domain and I need to prove that the application is deeply tested. I'm not fan of copy/paste steps because of maintenance reason (if one step changes you have to change it several times not knowing exactly all the places where it appears).

My tests are detailed enough to permit a new tester to execute the tests without knowledge of the application. I have automated tests that correspond to those manual tests and they execute all those steps with as much verifications as in the manual tests. The details also allow other persons of the company to know exactly what is tested without reading the code of the related automated tests. 

I have contacted the support of Xray (Xpand-IT). They are really responsive and they seem interested in this feature. Hopefully they could maybe decide to improve Xray with a solution for that (being able to reuse tests in test set/test plan/test execution).

Thanks again for your help and interest.

Marjorie

Dalyl
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 31, 2019

Hi Yann and Marjorie, 

Do you have a news for this feature?

I would like reuse  test execution  without cloning them...

Dalyl

Marjorie Boogaerts July 31, 2019

Hi Dalyl,

Unfortunately I didn't get any good solution for that. I do clone the test when I have to execute it several time in a same test plan/test execution. If someone finds a real solution I'm still interested. Thanks for your interest.

Marjorie

Ahmet Kilic _catworkx January 8, 2020

Hi Marjorie,

for exactly which purpose you would reuse test cases. If one of below steps;

-in different environment

-in varios release

-long story short in different jira fields whatever you desired to test

I could advise you, changing proper field in Test Execution and/or Test Plan could be worked, without switching default fields value of test.

I hope, It would work or give you at least an idea.

Sincerely,

Ahmet

Denis BECHARA
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 23, 2020

Hi,

Let me detail my case:

a- 5 Test Scenarios to execute: S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5

b- 3 Customers: C1, C2, C3

c- I should execute the 5 test scenarios for the 3 customers every month

So I create:

d- 1 Test Plan per month: Test Plan - April

e- 1 Test Set with the 5 Scenarios: Test Set - NRT Scenarios

f- 1 Test Execution per customers with the 5 Scenarios:

f1 - TE1 - Customer 1 (S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5)

f2 - TE2 - Customer 2 (S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5 )

f3 - TE3 - Customer 3 (S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5 )

g- I have  included TE1, TE2 and TE3 in Test Plan - April

For the next months, should I create again  3 test executions or is there a way to clone or duplicate test execution ?

Thanks for your help

Michael Reimann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 27, 2020

Hello Marjorie,

is it really required to run the test cases within the same test execution? You can clone the test execution, which will reset the execution status of the test cases in the cloned test execution and preserve the link of the tests to the test plan and the user stories.

Cheers

Michael

pvlakshmikanth November 2, 2020

Hi I am also struggling  with the same issue. I have many E2E tests which will have sequence of test A, B, C, A, D, A, E (some are same test I need call to fulfill E2E testing); not able to add. If clone the same test that worst solution. Please assist.

I tried creation of test executions and test set but in both got same issue.

If I clone the same test, customer will laugh at me for suggesting this kind of too.

I am clear, I am not going to suggest anyone to use JIra Xrey as test management solutions. I never saw such worst and immature test solution.    

pvlakshmikanth November 2, 2020

Any suggestion to reuse the same tests in a test set or test execution other than cloning, it's not the right solution.

I see XRay is worst test management solution in many aspects. I will not recommend to any customer to use.

Like zhilin yang likes this
Marjorie Boogaerts November 2, 2020

@Ahmet Kilic _catworkx , Michael Reimann, Sorry I only see your answers now.

The purpose of reusing a test in a test execution is because of the following.

We have a lot of test automation and those tests have them results imported automatically in Jira. In test automation, we write functions to do actions in an application. For example, if in the application you have to do several actions to get into a screen, we have a function to do it. This function is called in a lot of tests and sometimes several times in the same test. And a test is made of a lot of different functions calls.

The purpose would be to have the same functionality in Jira/Xray. If you can make a test scenario (not existing in Xray but well in QMetry), you could add in your test scenario the call of the different tests (equivalent of the functions in the test automation).And you could call a test (function) several times in the same test scenario. 

So if in test automation we have :

• test 1:
    • function 1
    • function 2
    • function 1
    • function 3
  • test 2:
    • function 1
    • function 3
    • function 4

In Jira/Xray we could have something like:

• test scenario 1:
    • test 1
    • test 2
    • test 1
    • test 3
  • test scenario 2:
    • test 1
    • test 3
    • test 4

And in one test execution we could execute test scenario 1 and test scenario 2. If one test (function) of a test scenario is in failed, the test scenario is in failed.

I don't think this is feasible right now with Xray.

If someone has suggestion, I would be grateful. I'm not going to answer with this user anymore because I'm leaving the company I'm working for in a few days. But I will continue to have a look at this question/answer since I will be interested for my next job too.

Thank you in advance.

Marjorie

endalkassa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 26, 2021

Hello Marjorie,

Have you found a solution yet ? Here is my scenario similar to yours ?

Is it possible to execute the same test case with a different Test Environment X number of times and save the execution info independently.
For example:
I have TC-1, in the first execution I select Test Env as:  OS: Windows, Version:10
Next Execution of the same TC-1 I change the Test Env to: OS: Unix V: Debian

In the reports I want to see the executions of TC-1 with the different environments, meaning test execution report shows TC1 executed twice.
Is that possible?

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2021

Hi @endalkassa 

It is possible to execute the same Test inside the same Test Plan using another Test Execution with a different Test Environment.

If you need further help, please contact the Xray Support (http://xraysupport.xpand-it.com) so that we can request additional information and investigate further.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Deepika Sunil January 24, 2024

Hi, Xray is not good with reusability of Test cases, we are in between using the tool then we need to workaround.

1. Clone the test, but here is the parent test has any alterations then it would not reflect on the clones, one needs to manual tweak the clones.

2. Call test, create a new test and call the test which it is a duplicate of using 'Call test' functionality. Say you have a new test(T2), and it needs to have the same steps as T1 then you can click on 'Call test' and add T1. Then we have all the steps from T1 added to T2. Under test execution you can see all the test steps available in T1 under T2. If any changes are made to T1(Parent test), it will reflect on T2 as well.

3. You can reuse the T1(parent test) in multiple executions. Every time you add a test to new test execution, it's status will be set to 'To Do', it will not carry forward the status from previous test execution, so that you can execution T1 in the new execution from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Deepika

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events