Xray connecting tests from different projects

Igal Epshtein April 27, 2022

Hey all, 

Recently we started to work with Xray in our organization . Currently Jira structured in the way were each scrum team has it's own jira project (we have more than 30 scrum teams)

For every scrum team our Jira admin has enabled separated testing project , we also have one cross qa project for the entire organization (mostly contains e2e flows , regression . etc ...) 
In that QA project we tried to add tests from other scrum teams , but unfortunately the "Project" combo box in "Add test" window is disabled, and the value inside is the current QA project. 

Is there a way to add tests from Project X to Project Y ?

Thanks 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

Hi @Igal Epshtein -- welcome to the community,

Could you describe where you are trying to add the tests? I cannot follow where the dropdown "project" appears. Could you please also provide screenshots that show your problem? That makes it easier for the community to understand your situation and to find a solution.

One further question:
Are your projects company managed or team managed?

Best
Stefan

Igal Epshtein April 30, 2022

Hi Stefan 
Thanks for answering

I've added a screenshot of what I see.
The QA project is a default one for this dropdown (as you can see this dropdown is closed to selection)

I'm trying to find the way were I can add tests to one testing board (Proj A) from Proj B

Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 12.23.02.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2022

Hi @Igal Epshtein 

Ok got it. 

The Testing Board and Test Repository are kind of a "view" of your tests and a way of organizing the tests within a project. So the context is always the project.

Testcases are standard issues that live in a specific project. You can´t "add" the issue itself to another project. But you could use a test case from Project A to test a requirement in Project B (eg. add tests from other projects in Stories, TestSets, TestExecutions,....).

Hope this helps.

Best
Stefan

Talitha Ray May 2, 2022

Hello, this is actually what I was thinking about doing for our Xray setup. We have regression tests that are applicable across projects, so my idea is to add a separate project solely for those tests so that they can be pulled into regression test plans for any test engineer's regression cycle--a centralized repository in this named Regression Testing project so the tests are not lost in the shuffle and can clearly be queried and assigned as needed for any team's testing cycle.

Is this the best course of action? Does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks in advance.  :)

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

Hi @Igal Epshtein and @Talitha Ray 

XRAY provides 2 types of organizing your tests:

• test repository
  • test sets

The test repository organizes  tests within a project in a hierarchical folder (like file system) structure similar to some common test management tools.

Whereas test sets are a (kinda) more dynamic way of organizing your tests. The offer a flat list of tests and tests can be added from other projects. Furthermore 1 test can be added to different test sets (whereas in the test repository 1 test can only exist in 1 folder).

The following link provides a good explanation of both ways:

https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAYCLOUD/Organizing+Tests

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

Hi @Igal Epshtein 

Is there any update from your side? Please let the community know if this was helpful and in case your question was answered please consider to click the "Accepted" button in order to mark this question as solved.

Best
Stefan

0 votes
diana.drobysevskaja April 28, 2022

Hi Igal,  Would it be possible for you to share how is the pricing for Xray works in your setup?  

Is company charged for all users they have or can it be assigned to limited amount of projects? 

I am thinking to use it for my team, but Their support feature is broken. 

Thanks. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events