Xray DC to Cloud Migration

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2021

Hi,

I am trying to migrate Xray from DC to cloud.

In this process, I am trying to run python Scripts provided by the vendor here: https://github.com/Xray-App/xray-cloud-mig

The file xray_variables.py requires ID of a custom Field "GLOBAL_preConditionDetails".

However, I have not been able to find any such custom field.

The custom fields available in Jira DC instance are: "Conditions", "Pre-Condition Type", "Pre-Conditions association with a Test" and "Tests association with a Pre-Condition".

Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 11.10.59 AM.png
In readme file for python scripts (for migrating to Xray Cloud) https://github.com/Xray-App/xray-cloud-mig/blob/master/README.md
In the section "Understanding the Global Variables" for "JIRA Onpremise", the last custom field is specified as :
GLOBAL_preConditionDetails (The ID of the Pre Condition details customfield)

Can anyone here help me understand which field is the "GLOBAL_preConditionDetails"?

1 answer

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

I just confirmed that it will be the "Conditions" field.

Putting this answer so that anyone having the same query can find the answer here.

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

Hello @Deepanshu Natani

Kindly share if you have been successful with the migration using the scripts. I have been struggling with the scripts for the last 2 weeks where I am trying to migrate the Xray server data to cloud.

Any guidance would be really helpful to achieve the migration.

Thanks in advance.

-Gaurav

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

Hi @Gaurav ,

Yes, after going through a lot of issues, I was able to migrate Xray Data to Cloud.

Can you elaborate on the issue you are facing?

Like Gaurav likes this
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

Hi @Deepanshu Natani

I have executed all the scripts and quite a few of them are erroring out. Some of the errors are as below:

2021-04-12 13:07:08,792 - root - INFO -
{"errors":[{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10388 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":13}],"path":["sjktzjvsax"]},
{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10388 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":176}],"path":["lmrxvklyxk"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10392 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":367}],"path":["knrrrejpsl"]},
{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10392 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":530}],"path":["dpuotawdlt"]},

{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10398 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":707}],"path":["xnpdsendbo"]},
{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10398 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":870}],"path":["lkpnqfclnk"]},

{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10402 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":1061}],"path":["hrscrrqaub"]},
{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10402 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":1224}],"path":["urtiyxclvj"]},

{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10406 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":1398}],"path":["foacgukvrl"]},
{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10406 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":1561}],"path":["xvytiacudv"]}

],

"data":{"sjktzjvsax":null,"lmrxvklyxk":null,"knrrrejpsl":null,"dpuotawdlt":null,"xnpdsendbo":null,"lkpnqfclnk":null,"hrscrrqaub":null,"urtiyxclvj":null,"foacgukvrl":null,"xvytiacudv":null}}

2021-04-12 13:07:08,795 - root - INFO - Ohh dear...
2021-04-12 13:07:08,800 - root - INFO - {"errors":[{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10388 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":13}],"path":["sjktzjvsax"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10388 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":176}],"path":["lmrxvklyxk"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10392 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":367}],"path":["knrrrejpsl"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10392 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":530}],"path":["dpuotawdlt"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10398 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":707}],"path":["xnpdsendbo"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10398 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":870}],"path":["lkpnqfclnk"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10402 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":1061}],"path":["hrscrrqaub"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10402 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":1224}],"path":["urtiyxclvj"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10406 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":1398}],"path":["foacgukvrl"]},{"message":"Error updating Test: test with id 10406 not found!","locations":[{"line":1,"column":1561}],"path":["xvytiacudv"]}],"data":{"sjktzjvsax":null,"lmrxvklyxk":null,"knrrrejpsl":null,"dpuotawdlt":null,"xnpdsendbo":null,"lkpnqfclnk":null,"hrscrrqaub":null,"urtiyxclvj":null,"foacgukvrl":null,"xvytiacudv":null}}

Thanks in advance.

-Gaurav

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

Hi @Deepanshu Natani

Is it possible for you to share the general approach which you took for the migration and troubleshooting the issues.

Thanks in advace.

-Gaurav

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

Hi @Gaurav 

This error is most probably occurring because one of the test cases which the script is trying to sync is not present on your Cloud environment.

General approach:

• Before running the scripts, please make sure that you have completely migrated all the Jira issues to your Cloud environment.
  • Install Xray on Cloud, check if your issue types (for Xray) are correctly identified by Xray. If not, take the necessary steps to reconfigure those issue types.
  • Once the issue types are identified by Xray, you can start running the scripts.
  • If you encounter issues with scripts, check if the corresponding issue/ test case is present on cloud or not.
  • If the issue/ test case is present on cloud, check the error in detail. The script may not run if there is some invalid characters in your test case/ issues fields.
  • You can also alter the JQL query/ ignore flag to skip the Jira issue causing the error.
  • Some of the scripts can take even upto 3-4 days (depending on your data set). Specially the script for syncing Manual test definitions and test execs and test linking one.
Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2021

Hi  @Deepanshu Natani 

Xray is integrated in the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA), and there is Early Adopters Program (EAP) already started.
Please file your application for the EAP [here|https://surveys.atlassian.com/jfe/form/SV_6SAs9OX0eAbGk5f].

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

SOMASEKHAR RAO AMMITI August 9, 2023

Hello Deepanshu,

Please suggest the best approach and if any document for the flowing issue and Friday is deadline for these...

In the below activity two companies are separate.(Ex. A&B Co.. now separate A company and B company) we need to do the B company projects migrate from Data Center to cloud. 

1) I want to migrate data from q-test to x-ray in Jira. I have 100 projects in my Data Center these need to be migrated to Jira cloud. May I know the best procedure to perform these activity. My q-test is no more using in Jira cloud.

2) And one more migrate data from x-ray to x-ray in Jira cloud. I have 50 projects in my Data Center these need to be migrated to Jira cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events