[XRAY] How to link test and test execution in Jira automation ?

BeltramiDaniel (Consultant) January 23, 2021

Hi,

I'm trying to create automatically an execution on a test creation (using Xray) through Automation.

So far, I can create an execution and copy the summary and the description, but now I'm stuck with the link between a test and its execution. 

I've tried advanced field editing, and several things, but the link is not working ...

Any ideas , suggestion or solution ? :)

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
BeltramiDaniel (Consultant) January 28, 2021

For those who looks for ideas, I found a way to solve mine : I've used Web Request Action to send a web request to Xray Cloud to create my Test Execution. It works perfectly. So now, when I create a test, an execution is automatically created linked to my test ! 

Christopher Dick January 10, 2023

Hi @BeltramiDaniel (Consultant),

What inputs must be inserted in the automation rule to create a linked test execution.

In Xray, test executions are not linked to tests via linked issues, but via internal xray logic.

The following inputs are required for automation:

2023-01-10 13_32_28-Einstellungen - JIRA.png

Many Greetings,

Christopher

0 votes
Jens Otremba October 27, 2022

Hello @BeltramiDaniel (Consultant) i have the same issue in the data center. did you get an answer from xray support to this issue?

Thanks

0 votes
Helga Tryggvadóttir November 3, 2021

Hi

@BeltramiDaniel (Consultant)  did you get any answers from xray support regarding this issue?

I have the opposite problem: I want to automate that when an Execution is moved to cancel status I want to "unlink" it to the Test, using automation. This is difficult given that Test Execution -> Test is not a link in itself.

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2021

Hi @Helga Tryggvadóttir 

It could be possible using the GraphQL API method: removeTestsFromTestExecution (https://xray.cloud.getxray.app/doc/graphql/removetestsfromtestexecution.doc.html)

This mutation removes Tests from Test Executions.

The challenge would be setting up the authentication token since it requires another request run previously, storing the token in a variable, and using it in your second request. Not sure if this is possible with Jira automation. Maybe @BeltramiDaniel (Consultant)  can help clarify this out.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Like Helga Tryggvadóttir likes this
0 votes
Rawan Bardini
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2021

Hi BeltramiDaniel,

In my experience I do not think this is currently possible in the Xray Cloud version. What you are describing here, the connection between a Test and a Test Execution is not actually a link. So for that reason you are not able to create it via automation.

From what I understand, when a Test is added to a Test Execution, it basically creates a "Test Run" or another instance of that Test in respect of the Test Execution. We tried to implement some automation rules around Test Runs in our company, and we found it was not an issue type in Jira, so we struggled doing anything regarding automation for Test Runs.

I am not sure if this is the same issue for you, but I would recommend opening an Xray technical question and confirming with the Xpand IT team if this is possible. If it is, would you mind also sharing back to this forum? There is a difference between Xray Cloud and Xray Server functionality as well, so be aware of that as well. 

Not very helpful, but hopefully that helps a little.
Thanks!
Rawan

BeltramiDaniel (Consultant) January 25, 2021

Hi Rawan, I'm gonna try the link you sent me and let you know if there is any possibilities

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events