Why do I not get results when using {{#lookupIssues}}

Shannon August 7, 2022

Hi Jira Family! 

I have been attempting to follow the tutorial shared by Eli Solutions @Eli Solutions Team -Eli Solutions- 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Jira-Automation-Video-Tutorial-on-how-to-send-customized-emails/ba-p/1861508 

For Step 2, however I do not get any data when I use the lookup command  

Inputs: 
Capture.PNG

Result: 

Capture2.PNG

For Rule 1, I was able to get individual emails per person with all the task data as requested. 

Once this oddity is solved, I am looking to send an email per assignee as detailed in the following post: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-Server-questions/How-can-I-use-Advanced-Branching-in-Automation-for-unique/qaq-p/1909075 

I'm hopeful that once I get results, from correcting the above, I'll be able to branch. 

Cheers in advance, 
Shannon

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

Hi @Shannon and welcome to the community,

What does the audit log of an activation look like? Is the jql of your trigger working fine and generating a list?

for debugging reasons you could add a „log audit“ action right after your trigger to see if the jql generates results.

Best
Stefan

Shannon August 8, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl ,

Cheers on picking this up 

My log audit is empty as well..

Stefan S 1.png

I thought that maybe it was because I turned off the JQL search query against the schedule task, but when I turn that back on, I get a blank message for each overdue issue. 

Stefan S 2.png

Even in that instance the email still shows empty, but the Audit Log has all the issues:

Stefan S 3.png
image (3).png

Could it have anything to do with some projects being team-based and others company-based? 
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

Ah I see. The point is:

if you unselect the jql you don´t get any issues. On the other hand if you check the check mark (as the information tells) the action is done for each issue from the jql result.

Therefore I would suggest the following procedure:

• turn off the jql in your schedule trigger
  • add a lokkupIssue action right after your trigger with the jql you would like to process
  • the rest should then work fine as expected.

I did a small test inide my site which looks like the following:

image.png

Please let me know if this was helpful.

Best
Stefan

Shannon August 15, 2022

@Stefan Salzl , I cannot believe I forgot the most fundamental part of the Lookup *facepalm* 

Once I added that piece in, of course it worked! 

Super thanks to you & @John Funk  for bearing with me! 

Now I'm off to better understand branching so that I can automate the sending of emails to the assignees! 

....you may hear from me again! 

Like # people like this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2022

hahaha....you are welcome. that‘s what a community is meant for ;) It‘s our pleasure to support.

Glad to know you got that working and looking forward to hearing from you ;)

Best
Stefan

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Hi Shannon - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

This is the syntax I use for lookupIssues:

<ul>

{{#lookupIssues}}

<li><a href="{{url}}">{{key}} </a>] | {{priority.name}} |  {{created.longDate}} |  {{status.name}}</li>

{{/}}

</ul>

You can change the field name out that I used in my example with other field names. But be aware that only a handful of system fields are available. 

Shannon August 8, 2022

Hi @John Funk 

Same error when I use your suggestion: 

John Funk 2.PNGJohn Funk 3.PNG

It feels as though Jira Automation is mocking me 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2022

Haha - yes, sometimes I feel the same way. 

But in this case, it doesn't appear that you are actually selecting any issues. Can you share a screenshot of your Scheduled step? You should have some JQL there. 

Shannon August 14, 2022

Hi @John Funk , 

Pardon the delay, I was at a conference. 

JQL information as requested: 

John Funk 5.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events