Why can't I bulk remove inactive users from groups in Jira

Katie McGovern July 12, 2017

Our Jira 7.2.8 server links to AD for defining users.

When users go inactive, I want to remove them from some groups (defined locally in Jira, not imported from AD). Our team uses these groups in their jql searches, and do not want to see matches for the inactive users.

I no longer see those inactive users in the "bulk edit group members" UI. They are definitely still in those groups, as evidenced by their user profiles, and in the "view users" list shown for the group. 

Our Jira used to allow me to bulk edit inactive users out of groups, so I think something has changed, but I can't find any information about it. Was it a change in the Jira software somewhere in an update? Can anyone shed some light on this?

It will be pretty crummy if we have to go into each inactive user's profile to clean up their group membership. So much clicking!!!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2017

Hi Katie,

When you deactive a user they are no longer able to be bulk edited.  I am using 7.4 and this may have been a feature in the past and if this is no longer working this could be a regression.  I searched for an existing feature request and I couldn't find one so I created JRASERVER-65617 on your behalf.

Please vote on the issu and add any comments you feel are relevant so our developers can consider adding this in the future.

In addition, there is an add-on called the JIRA CLI that has methods that can remove users from Group membeships as well.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events