Where is my field?

Robert August 6, 2013

I tried to put some more custom fields in our screens, like a text field for additional information, but it's not working.

The "Where is my field?" Dialog means:

Field 'xxx' is in scope of the project 'QM Testprojekt' and issue type 'Test'

The field 'xxx' is enabled by the Field Configuration 'Default Field Configuration' associated with this issu

The field 'xxx' is present on the screen 'Standardbildschirmmaske' configured for this issue

But it is not! Any ideas?

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2013

Hi Robert, I don't think using a template would help, now you've explained your use case.

From what I see, you have two options.

1. Convert a bug to a testcase. This is fine on it's own. However if you do this, remember not to change it from a testcase back to a bug. You will lose your teststep information and any associated test results.

2. Create a testcase (either by scratch or by cloning the bug) and link it to it so you can get a connection between the two issue types.

As you have noted, the teststep structure can't be added to any other issue type. It only works with the Zephyr Testcase Issue Type.

Kind Regards,

Chris

0 votes
Robert August 8, 2013

Well, i guess we're trying to miss-use the additional zeyphyr custom fields. Like you discribed, Chris, we want to house the teststeps, testdata and expected results, but do not want to use the "test" issue type.

e.g. when a bug was fixed, then our QA needs to verify this. in our workflow we use the transition "verify and close". In this dialog the user should have the possibility to enter the different teststeps.

Therefore, we wanted to use the zephyr teststep field, to document the QA-work easily, without changing the issue type.

I'm not sure how "using a template" instead could help here, because, nevertheless, i need to set the issue type to "test".?

Thank you anyway

Robert

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2013

Gents,

The Zephyr Custom Field of Zephyr Teststep is a field we use to house all test steps of a testcase. Specifically, when a testcase has 5 teststeps, for example, this single field would hold the data for each step, AND for each step the teststep, testdata and Expected Result. So as it can be used for multipe test steps and have vairous values, it doesn't fit on the create screen.

After you create an issue of Test. Then once the issue of test is created, it opens up and then the test steps are available on the issue screen.

See the image on this screen to view the issue after it has been created: https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ZTD/View+and+Modify+Tests

Because of this complex use of a single Zephry TestStep custom field, it's tough to display elsewhere.

As well, there isn't a use case that I can think of for a default value. Users can simply write testcases and then add the teststeps as needed. If you needed default testcase structures to use to create numerous testcases, instead have a "template" testcase setup and then clone it as needed.

Kind Regards

Chris

parkIQ Support March 8, 2020

Hi Chris,

Sorry, since my question is related to the same field 'Zephyr Test step' I am posting the question in this thread.

When I add a issue of type Test or using Zephyr's 'Create a Test' option, I do not see the Test step as a field. I looked for it in the Custom fields as well but could not find it there. From what I read, from the replies related to field, this field should be available as soon as an issue type Test created and user selects issue Type = Test. I am not sure what am I missing here. Please help. 

I had raised it with Smart Bear but am still waiting on the reply from the team.

Thanks,
Divya

0 votes
Robert August 7, 2013

I tested it with a global context and for special projects.

The fields are missing in:

- the Create-View: no checkbox for "Zephyr Teststep", though the "Where is my Field" sais "The field 'Zephyr Teststep' is present on the screen 'Standardbildschirmmaske' configured for this issue"

- the edit-screen: when i choose the "Bonfire Document mode" for example, i can see a small yellow bar for a view seconds. i guess there should the field be placed, but it vanished immediately

The Bonfire Document mode and the Zephyr teststep don't have default values and i cannot set them. There is no value i could choose in the "set custom field defaults"- mask, just a "Set default" button.

The issue type "test" uses "the default issue type screen" and it seems, that it is only possible to use the zephyr custom fields in contect of this special issue type.

When i change the issue type to "test", the custom fields appear. That could be the answer for this issue type. That would be a pity.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

hmm, I have no idea. I added the zephyr tag so maybe some zephyr expert can help.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

Hi Robert,

The question that comes to my mind is if the screen 'Standardbildschirmmaske' is used in the create operation of an issue of type test. Can you check your screen scheme. Maybe Zephyr is using its own screen.

Cheers, Udo

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

It isn't quite clear in which screen (Create, Edit, View) the field is missing. If it is in the view screen - does the field have a value?

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

Are these fields defined only for a certain type of issues or projects? Review this in the custom fields admin section

HTH

0 votes
Robert August 7, 2013

Hi Lucas,

yes, ive selected it, re-indexing didn't help.

It seems, that only 3rd party plugin custom fields are affected, like the "Zephyr Teststep Field Type" and the "Bonfire Test Session Field".

But the "Read-Only"-Textfield isnt working either.

These fields never have been displayed.

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

Hi Robert,

Two things -- have you selected the field when creating an issue?

- Regarding to the missing field -- it's an embeded custom field or it's provided by a 3rd party plugin?

At last, was the field being displayed and disappeared or you'd just added to your JIRA system? You may need to re-index JIRA in order for it being displayed.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events