What's a "Manual Trigger" in Automation for JIRA and how do I invoke it?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2016

How do I use the "Manual Trigger" in Automation for JIRA?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2016

Most rules get triggered automatically, however sometimes it may be useful for a user to trigger a rule for a specific issue manually. That's what the Manual trigger is for. It can be configured so that only members of certain groups will see it. Once configured it will show up on the view issue page:

[DEMO-3] This needs log files! - Code Barrel JIRA 2016-09-20 10-36-20.png

If a user hits "Run" the rule will be executed with the issue being viewed as the input (DEMO-3 in this case). 

For a list of all other triggers see our list of rule components.

John Kata June 27, 2017

In our instance, 'Manual Triggers' only show up under the 'More' menu when viewing an issue.  There is not an 'Automations' section on the right hand side under 'Dates' as demonstrated in the screenshot.  Was this changed?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2017

Hi John,

Ah yes, sorry I should have mentioned that. This is a difference between our Cloud and Server offerings (mainly because the available plugin points differ).

Cloud

You get the 'Automations' issue panel on the right to execute Manual triggers

Server

Manual triggers show up in the 'More' menu where all the other issue operations are listed (link, attach, assign etc).

Cheers,
  Andreas

John Kata July 18, 2017

Hi Andreas,

Great, thanks!  Would it be possible to request the 'Automations' panel for the Server version, as well?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2017

Hi John,

Just out of curiousity - why do you want to see manual triggers in an 'Automations' panel in server instead of as part of the issue operations (where users are used to look for issue operations already)?

The only reason we added the panel in cloud is, because the add-on APIs there didn't allow as to add to the issue operations dropdown.

Just trying to understand your use-case a bit better as to why you'd like to see the panel in Server as well.

Cheers,

Andreas

John Kata July 18, 2017

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the fast reply!  I think it provides more visibility into what automations are available in a given project than the 'More' option.  This is definitely not a high-priority request, but something that would be nice to see sometime in the future.

Thanks for your consideration and quick responses, as always!

Nir Brown December 4, 2017

Hi Andreas, 

wanted to ask if is it possible to limit the presentation of the button according to a specific status of the issue?

regards,

Nir

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2017

Hi Nir,

No not currently.  I've raised https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-645 to track this.

Right now you can only prevent a rule from running with a condition if it's in the wrong status, however the button would still show up in the UI.

Cheers,
  Andreas

Florian Neumann March 5, 2018

Hi everybody,

we would like to create a rule, that is like a template for a new job (a issue in a specific project, with specific issues and subtask).
When the rule was created, it is not entirely obvious to the user where the new issue can be created, beacause he must click on an existing issue to create an new issue based on a template.

Can you understand my problem?

Do you see a possibility to visualize the "manual trigger buttons" in the issue panel?

Cheery,
Florian

1 vote
Sarath October 20, 2020

@andreas is there a bulk operation for manual trigger? For example, if I've few selected tickets by a JQL, I would like to trigger the manual trigger rule for all the tickets at once instead of going to each ticket and selecting under "more" tab. 

Currently, I'm selecting the trigger "Scheduled" and executing my JQL tickets by setting time using cron expression. But I'm trying to potential duplicated with automation rules by not giving option to my users to adjust cron expressions or if they schedule something and forget to disable the rule.     

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events